New Ric Day - 1993+

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

steverok
Intermediate Member

New Ric Day - 1993+

Post by steverok »

I needed this before I die ... that is all.
Steve - Rickenbacker 1993 Plus.jpg
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Re: New Ric Day - 1993+

Post by opticnerve »

GO CUBBIES!!! :D

Sharp 1993+ Steve!
scotty

Post by scotty »

What are your thoughts on it?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

A Cubs World Series win and a 1993+, two items off the bucket list. 8)
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

My thoughts on it ... this is the third Ric 12 I have purchased (all new), and the first one that was ready to go, right out of the case. To Ric's credit, it does look like they are doing a much better job of cutting the 12-string nut, for the standard 300 series models. The way they cut the nut for my 2005 360-12 was not playable for me, and even my 2009 330-12, which was much better, still needed to be re-made. The new ones I have seen up close look perfect. So, given the wider fretboard, and Ric's optimized approach to cutting the nut, that aspect of the instrument is a dream. In addition, it feels like the neck is shallower in depth than on my 330-12, which I was kind of concerned about, since I knew it would be wider. I would say this neck is perfect, and I wish they were all like that, although, playing it, I am finding the strings are not exactly where I am used to them being, so there is a bit of an adjustment there. I find that I am able to play more of my material on this guitar, because of the user-friendliness, although the middle pick-up is a bit of an obstacle for my pick, if I don't position my hand over the bridge saddle cover, which I do naturally, anyway, most of the time. I think Ric does a great job of setting up their guitars, which the people at Dave's Guitar in WI may or may not have tweaked ... I don't know. But it plays really, really nice, and seems to be really good in terms of intonation, although I have not checked that closely yet.

In terms of tone, the note clarity and chime of this instrument may be the best I have heard. It seems to have a little less trebly overtone than my 360-12 (with toasters), and a little more high-end sparkle than my 330-12 (hi gains). The neck + middle pick-up setting is very good (beautiful, in fact) and useful, which I could not say about the neck pick-up, alone, on the other two guitars. I recorded all three, with all other things equal, and while they all, really, are beautiful sounding, I do think this 1993+ has more pure, full, chime-y sparkle than the other two. When I engage all three pick-ups, it may be that the bass notes are a little more boing-y sounding than on the other two-pick-up models. I may look into mod'ing the electronics, to, at least, be able to disable the middle pick-up.

I hope I was clear in my description. In terms of playability and tone, I think it is a home run. The regular 300 series models surely still have their place, with the beautiful two-pick-up sound, and the lack of that middle pick-up as a potential obstacle, however, my initial impression is that, overall, the 1993+ is the best Ric 12 yet.
Last edited by steverok on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

sloop_john_b wrote:A Cubs World Series win and a 1993+, two items off the bucket list. 8)
You said it man !
8mileshigher

New Ric Day - 1993+

Post by 8mileshigher »

steverok wrote:My thoughts on it ... To Ric's credit, it does look like they are doing a much better job of cutting the 12-string nut, for the standard 300 series models. The way they cut the nut for my 2005 360-12 was not playable for me, and even my 2009 330-12, which was much better, still needed to be re-made. The new ones I have seen up close look perfect. So, given the wider fretboard, and Ric's optimized approach to cutting the nut, that aspect of the instrument is a dream.

In terms of tone, the note clarity and chime of this instrument may be the best I have heard. It seems to have a little less trebly overtone than my 360-12 (with toasters), and a little more high-end sparkle than my 330-12 (hi gains). The neck + middle pick-up setting is very good (beautiful, in fact) and useful, which I could not say about the neck pick-up, alone, on the other two guitars. I recorded all three, with all other things equal, and while they all, really, are beautiful sounding, I do think this 1993+ has more pure, full, chime-y sparkle than the other two. When I engage all three pick-ups, it may be that the bass notes are a little more boing-y sounding than on the other two-pick-up models.
Steve --- could you possibly post a short recording of the same tune segment played on your new 1993+, the 360-12 with Toasters and the 330-12 with High Gains to demonstrate their tonal differences. :) I remember J-Dog did such a posting several years ago, to demonstrate tonal variations between his two and three pick-up models and High Gains and Toasters, and so forth, and it was an interesting comparison for us Rickenbacker tone freaks !

I really like the 8) JetGlo 1993+ models ..... Congrats on your acquisition !
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28 1969

10 4003 FG
06 WB BRG
04 660-12 JG
03 360-12 FG
99 V64 six FG
96 650-A TQ
94 V64-12 JG
81 370-WB JG
73 480 DaphBlue
61 Cons Steel MG
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

8mileshigher wrote: Steve --- could you possibly post a short recording of the same tune segment played on your new 1993+, the 360-12 with Toasters and the 330-12 with High Gains to demonstrate their tonal differences. :) I remember J-Dog did such a posting several years ago, to demonstrate tonal variations between his two and three pick-up models and High Gains and Toasters, and so forth, and it was an interesting comparison for us Rickenbacker tone freaks !

I really like the 8) JetGlo 1993+ models ..... Congrats on your acquisition !
I will do that for sure, just need some time to do them all justice. Will try to do it this week. Thank you !
scotty

Post by scotty »

1993+ recored with my phone but you get the tone.
I had to get a new nut cut the Octave G and B were cut far to short.
I do like the model tho.
I also know what you mean about finger placement. The more I play the more I like the 1993+.

steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

scotty wrote:1993+ recored with my phone but you get the tone.
I had to get a new nut cut the Octave G and B were cut far to short.
I do like the model tho.
I also know what you mean about finger placement. The more I play the more I like the 1993+.
Wow you get quite an interesting tone here. Sounds like a keyboard almost. Nice picking too.
scotty

Post by scotty »

The JG 1993s make you play better ;)
Good choice BTW.
Congrats.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

scotty wrote:1993+ recored with my phone but you get the tone.

scotty wrote:The JG 1993s make you play better ;)
Nice little jangly You Tube posting, Scotty !! 8) Your JetGlo sounds real nice.
kt66

Post by kt66 »

that is stunning, what excellent taste you have

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”