Seeking opinions on pick-up configuration

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

steverok
Intermediate Member

Seeking opinions on pick-up configuration

Post by steverok »

Hello All,

It's been too long since I participated here. I am seeking input on a modification I want to try on my 360-12, which I purchased new in 2005. It is equipped with factory toasters, and other vintage appointments. I have two hi-gain pick-ups which I am converting to toaster-covered hi-gains. I am thinking of swapping one or both of the toasters with the toaster-topped hi-gain(s). I remember, way back, Tony Carey made a comment that a toaster at the 24-fret neck position on a 12-string was a terrible thing, lol. Anyway, I feel like I have gotten about all I can get out of this guitar, as is, and want to try this out. I was thinking I would put the hi-gain in the neck position and leave the toaster at the bridge. I have read others, online, saying they liked a hi-gain at the bridge and a toaster at the neck. I am curious as to whether anyone here has tried such combinations on a 12-string, and what their recommendation would be.

Regards,
Steve C.
Attachments
Rickenbacker 360-12VP FireGlo.jpg
steverok
Intermediate Member

Re: Seeking opinions on pick-up configuration

Post by steverok »

I guess my question is too esoteric for even this group lol. Perhaps I am headed into unchartered waters, with new discoveries awaiting ...
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Removing the poles on a hi-gain, then putting on a Toaster cover is cosmetic change that results in a pickup with lower output since you no longer have poles as close to the strings, and that's assuming you replace the poles with something else highly magnetic. Stainless Allen screws are NOT magnetic by the way. I've had a lot of customers swap out their single coil pickups for Rickenbacker HB1 humbuckers. With the proper electronics, a pair of HB1's can be very versatile.
collin

Post by collin »

aceonbass wrote:Removing the poles on a hi-gain, then putting on a Toaster cover is cosmetic change that results in a pickup with lower output since you no longer have poles as close to the strings, and that's assuming you replace the poles with something else highly magnetic. Stainless Allen screws are NOT magnetic by the way. I've had a lot of customers swap out their single coil pickups for Rickenbacker HB1 humbuckers. With the proper electronics, a pair of HB1's can be very versatile.
Cutting the button top off a pole (or threading the adjustable type in from the bottom) does reduce the output since the poles are further from the strings. But I must say, it works fine and sounds great. It's a better option than replacing the original poles with non-magnetic allen screws or similar.

Toaster-izing a high gain will change the tone (par for the course, since you're changing a fundamental part of the pickup's design), but less of a change than swapping with HB1s, IMO.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”