Jetglo
67%
Maplego
33%

Total votes: 12

knightrich

About to Order My First Ric!

Post by knightrich »

I have played mainly telecasters and Epiphone Dots for years now, and was recently saving up for a Gibson Les Paul with P90s. A friend suggested I take a look at Rickenbacker because a lot of the music I listen to was recorded with them and I had written them off because they never advertised their prices. I assumed if it isn’t listed it’s more than I can afford!

So, I shopped around and I was surprised! I can get a 330 new for as little as $1,480, and so I became intrigued. That’s within reach. I began reading all about them and researching what people compared them to, etc. I read that the necks are unique, some people hate them, some love them, their one trick ponies, they’re not one trick ponies, and on and on. So, I found a local shop that has a 620 and a 360W/12 in stock. I had pretty much settled on a Ric but was terrified the neck would be too small or unplayable. I don’t have huge hands. The trip to the store would decide it. I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands and was thinking I’ll pick it up, hate it, and need to start looking at Gibsons again.

People said the necks were unplayable: they’re not! It fit my hand like a glove. While researching them online, I was torn between Fireglo, Maplego, and Jetglo. For whatever reason, I decided Fireglo isn’t for me right now. I like the Jetglo or the Maplego.

So, I need to decide which to order. My Epiphone Dot is in natural so I have already have a mapleish guitar, and from what I’ve read, the new UV finish Ric uses won’t amber as much. I obviously really like the Jetglo, I’ve just heard that the finish is hard to keep clean.

I have Sweetwater gift cards so I need to order from there, and I’m not quite there yet. I planned on doing a preorder since I’d have to wait a while anyways and then I may be close to the amount to purchase by then. Any pros or cons to these two finishes? This is my first post and I’m happy to join!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: About to Order My First Ric!

Post by Tommy »

knightrich wrote:MapleGlo...JetGlo. Any pros or cons to these two finishes?
With any translucent finish, the grain of the wood really matters. The MapleGlo would definitely have to be seen before purchase.

It has been said that the JetGlo smogs out a bit. A black finish on any guitar is, for some reason, a different animal. I find that black guitar finishes do lose their brilliant luster with some use, but all guitarists know a good periodic waxing keeps any guitar finish looking brand new. Don't worry about the JetGlo finish. Buy Zymol car wax (recommended by many Ric owners including me) and the shine on your guitar will be blinding.

I am confused. You say you want a 330, but then mention you are going to get either a 620 or 360/12. My advice: go for the 330. They are Rickenbacker's biggest sellers for a reason. They really are fantastic guitars.

Here are my three Rics. A nice sampling of styles:

knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Thanks for the tips!

I should have clarified, those are the only Rics I could find locally to try out. I wasn’t able to find any 330s locally to try so I had to stick with testing those out to get an approximation. At least with Sweetwater I’ll be able to see what the specific guitar would look like before I buy. I love the amber look of an aged Mapleglo but when I thought about Rickenbacker, I definitely pictured Jetglo.

Nice collection!
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Welcome to the forums, Richard!

Jetglo never goes out of style, is my vote. :)

I hear ya that it can be hard to try out Ricks. At the time I bought mine, the closest I'd come to actually handling one was a Rickenfaker. I bought my 330 from eBay not really knowing how it would feel or sound in my hands. Fortunately, it all worked out!
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Nice! Is it true that the post 2005 Rics have different string spacing? Wider maybe?
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

knightrich wrote:Nice! Is it true that the post 2005 Rics have different string spacing? Wider maybe?
I don't know about that, but the newer models (around 2006 and up) do come with some important differences. The Rics were "upgraded" around that time, brought into the 20th century so to speak. A standard string gauge with a .46 on the low E and adjustable polepieces on the pickups were two very welcome changes. A different finishing process was also introduced to Rics. If you are buying a new Ric you will be getting a guitar that is a 21st century instrument. Believe me, those adjustable polepieces are a Godsend.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Ok great! That was another question I had. I had read that the standard low E gauge was 42 so that’s good to hear!
espidog

Post by espidog »

My vote goes to JetGlo. The finish is no trouble to keep looking good. As Tommy says, the trick is to use Zymol car wax (it's made of pure coconut and carnauba wax - no dodgy chemicals and especially no silicone) and your guitar will shine like new.

The polishing procedure I'm about to describe may sound a bit OTT, but you'll only need to do it about once a year (IME) and it's worth it:

1. Remove all the 'furniture' from the instrument (strings, bridge/tailpiece, tuning heads, pickguard, pickups, TRC - the lot)

2. Give the whole instrument a gentle wash with a clean, damp, lint-free cloth, some warm water and a tiny (I do mean TINY) drop of detergent

3. Dry it off with a soft, clean towel

4. Apply the Zymol with a cloth, in a swirly motion. Be quite generous. Let it dry.

5. With a soft, clean cloth, buff the wax off until your baby is gleaming like it just left the factory!

6. Replace all hardware.

7. Spend the rest of the week feeling (a) virtuous and (b) owner of the coolest guitar on earth. 8)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

espidog wrote:
1. Remove all the 'furniture' from the instrument (strings, bridge/tailpiece, tuning heads, pickguard, pickups, TRC - the lot)
Wow, that's a rather drastic step. I do find it tricky to get the wax on/wax off between all that stuff, but it can be done without removing all that stuff.

I will admit that Rics can be difficult to wax. Fender Strats and Teles are the absolute easiest -- the pickguards contain all the stuff, just wax around the guard, easy to do.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

espidog wrote:My vote goes to JetGlo. The finish is no trouble to keep looking good. As Tommy says, the trick is to use Zymol car wax (it's made of pure coconut and carnauba wax - no dodgy chemicals and especially no silicone) and your guitar will shine like new.

The polishing procedure I'm about to describe may sound a bit OTT, but you'll only need to do it about once a year (IME) and it's worth it:

2. Give the whole instrument a gentle wash with a clean, damp, lint-free cloth, some warm water and a tiny (I do mean TINY) drop of detergent

3. Dry it off with a soft, clean towel

4. Apply the Zymol with a cloth, in a swirly motion. Be quite generous. Let it dry.

5. With a soft, clean cloth, buff the wax off until your baby is gleaming like it just left the factory!

6. Replace all hardware.

7. Spend the rest of the week feeling (a) virtuous and (b) owner of the coolest guitar on earth. 8)
Thanks for the tips! I will probably go with the Jetglo. It just looks plain cool.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Is there a difference in neck size/nut width between the 330s and 360s?
Last edited by knightrich on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

knightrich wrote:Is there a difference in neck size/but width between the 330s and 360s?
No difference. Same.

However, there is a significant difference in 330 and 360 necks -- 360 has binding. Now that may not matter to you, but depending upon where you live (humidity, dry area...) the binding does make a difference. My 360 with binding is perfect, but my 330 without binding must stay in proper humidity during winter months or the guitar gets a slight fret sprout. The neck dries out a bit and shrinks causing the fret ends to poke out a bit. 360 guitars with binding do not do that. Nor do all 330 guitars. Depends upon the climate in which you live. Right now it is a very humid summer....my 330 is fine. But come dry winter months I must keep my 330t in its case with a damp sponge.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Ok thanks! I’ll be happy with either. I got a really good quote for a 360 that’s making me think about those at the moment. With student loans, little ones, and a mortgage the 330 could be just the ticket!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

knightrich wrote: I’ll be happy with either. I got a really good quote for a 360 ...but the 330 could be just the ticket!
Get both. Eventually you will. Rickenbacker owners/lovers rarely own just one Ric.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

I have a feeling I may get more than one eventually!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”