Geddy Lee

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

In my eyes it is not a jazz bass if it has a P pickup. It is a P bass. Even the P specials have a j pickup and it is still called a P bass. So what if it is shaped like a jazz. The Mark Hoppus jazz bass and the aerodyne jazz is P bass to me. I would get one if it had two J pickups and the back of the neck and headstock was black. Yes I am picky. That would save me money on building this. I would make it out of a Geddy bass so I can use the pickups that came with it.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
sabbath_of_bass
Intermediate Member

Post by sabbath_of_bass »

Why a P-bass tho dude. It has both. I personally love the Aerodyne. I wouldnt trade mine for the world. Your a little too picky. "back of the neck and headstock". With fender your lucky to get the head stock man. Isnt Mark Hoppus that Blink 182 guys bass? I saw that thing. It doesnt even have tone control. I wouldnt go with that bass. But then again its not me.

Rick,
I cant find my D-cam at the momment. Ill have the mother get it out tomorrow so i can get a few pics for you.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Yes, I know I'm picky. I just don't like P basses and the pickup that goes with it. The pickup is too beefy sounding and just plain ugly to me.

"back of the neck and headstock"
I would put a graphite neck on it to cover that up. I have never owned a true Fender and when I get one (no if about it) I would want it to be like a Blackstar. Well, they don't make them that way so I would mod the hell out of it. It would be nice to look at and it wouldn't say Fender on it anymore.

Yes, Blink 182. No tone control. What I dumb idea.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
sabbath_of_bass
Intermediate Member

I want more control over my sound i suppose. Theres no way I would do anything to them. I wont even put strap locks on my Aerodyne because of the color of the hardware. I dont want it unless i can match up all the way.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Well with the black J project everthing would be black. Tuners, bridge, straplocks, neck plate, and the control plate.

I have a custom bass on the way (still being built) and it'll have 3 band active EQ. 6 knobs on it (3 volume {3 pickups} 3 control) but I'll have complete control over my sound.

You said you had "The Spirit of Radio" CD? Go to the stuff like "Time Stand Still", "Force 10", and "The Big Money". Geddy's bass (a Wal) sounds amazing. I would make my custom sound like that.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Have you considered a Jazz Special? They have a finished headstock and neck. This particular one is on Ebay right now, but I have seen them all one color. They DO have a P/J pickup config, though. I have played one and they sound and feel great! Way better than the GL model, thats for sure!
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

I'll take one of those necks and put it on a jazz body... hehe.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
sabbath_of_bass
Intermediate Member

Respect the wood grain Nate.... lol
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

I will. That link I put in the bass forum has the basses with all wood grain. The guy will not paint them.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Back to Geddy Lee. has anyone ever seen him with short hair?
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Wow, that's cool!! There were some pics of Geddy, Neil and Alex from the 60's in a recent tour program, Geddy is wearing Beatle Boots, LOL..

Nate, I have a Wal.....nice and twangy sound like on 'Power Windows'.
sabbath_of_bass
Intermediate Member

Wal's are nice. I want to get one one of these days.
That and a Alembic. Image Haha.... but thats a hella of alot of money.

Nate personally i like wood grain look. I like seeing some sign of it some where. Image

You guys stop stalking Geddy. I mean look up to him and worship his greatness. But stop the stalkin. Haha just kiddin. Image
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

John, how much was it? Also, pics would be nice. Image

I would kill for a Mach 1. Ged's black one, with the gold hardware, the one he used on "Hold Your Fire" and "Presto", would make me very happy. That twang just gets to me. Wonderful sound. I would get black hardware though. Something about an all black bass gets to me. The Wal, that Fender copy I posted before, a blackstar.....

"There were some pics of Geddy, Neil and Alex from the 60's in a recent tour program, Geddy is wearing Beatle Boots, LOL.."

Not possible. Neil joined on July 30, 1974, Geddy's birthday! The Beatle boots sound normal though....

I have worshipped his greatness for long enough. Time to stalk! Image

I just saw a pic of Geddy with a fan and he was wearing a Metallica T shirt. How kewl is that?
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Nate, didn't mean to confuse you. The pics were not of them together as a band, they were seperate pics, snapshots really, of them as they looked in the mid 60's, about their age in the pic you posted above...I have the program stored away with the others, I haven't missed a tour from Permanent Waves (1979) all the way to the present.

My Wal is a Mach II with Schedua facings, and now has gold hardware and isn't strung upside-down...

http://www4.cs.fau.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walpics/W3841.jpg

I really love it, I looked for 15 years for the right one..
sabbath_of_bass
Intermediate Member

I use to like Metallica. Now i just think they are over rated and suck. The new stuff really sucks. But the rest is okay. Never as great as people think they are. But oh well.

Nate you probly would like my Dean Edge 4. It and my fretless edge. Black hardware, black headstock, And the body is stained black wood grain. Its pretty greyish black stain. www.deanguitars.com Im sure you can find a pic on there. Image I love them.

Stalking is bad... worship is good. Geddy is god....kinda. Demi god? Hes damn close.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”