The Suzi Arden Show

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

carole

Post by carole »

Paul: Suzi Arden has been a friend of mine for over 50 years. I have other friends in the music business also.
carole

Post by carole »

Paul: In the last picture you posted, do you also operate that machine on the left? I watched a friend working on a record many years ago and was totally fascinated by it.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Yes, I make a living by manipulating that thing almost every day. Can't live without it.
carole

Post by carole »

Very talented man. I was with Jimmie Haskell when I saw another guy performing wonders on it.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Jimmie Haskell?
The great arranger who won several Grammys if memory serves me well?
Love his string arrangement for Sheryl Crow's "Am I getting through?"
carole

Post by carole »

Yes, he also did an arrangement for Suzi Arden many years ago called "Web of Lies."
carole

Post by carole »

P.S. I think it is 3 Grammys, 1 Emmy (4 nominations), 3 Clios, 2 Addys, 1 Cable Car. Composer of 31 feature films, 32 TV movies, 445 TV episodes. Sheryl Crow's "The Globe Sessions" (Emmy 99--Platinum), kd lang's "Drag" (Gold), not to mention more than 135 Gold and Platinum CD's and record.

I have never heard Sheryl Crow. Is she rock 'n' roll or what?
carole

Post by carole »

Here is a shot of Suzi Arden. She now runs an Ole Time Country Music Festival at her Darden Family Farm in Mapleton, North Carolina, every June.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Nice picture, Carole.
You've learned to post pictures here very quick too.
Suzi's in great shape, if I may say so.
Does she still play her 360/12 Fireglo currently?

Yes Sheryl Crow is mainly rock'n'roll with folk and country flavours. The song "Am I getting through?" is from her "The Globe Sessions" album.

Wow, Mr. Jimmie Haskell sure is a winner!
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Cool. Suzi is a very important figure in Rickenbacker history since she played the very first 12-string Ric.... There's another one for your lineup of "Ric chicks," Paul! Too bad she's not holding a Ric in the above photo.... By the way, Carole, I wanted to say that it's nice to see another woman on the Ric forum--there aren't too many of us girls here, but this is a great place to hang out online; super nice people.
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

I believe Suzi Arden's Rick 12-string is now owned by a collector in Japan.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Indeed.
I've just found out from the Registration Page that the guitar belongs to the collection of Mr. Oyama Katsuyuki now.
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mccorp/raritiesarden.html

Interestingly, Suzi's 360/12 was first equipped with a trapeze tailpiece when made in 1963 but was changed by RIC to an "R" in 1964.

Before:
(Image scanned from the R. Smith book)

After:
(Image courtesy of the Registration Page)
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Beautiful guitar.... I actually think I like the trapeze tailpiece better on that one; it just seems to be more in keeping with the truly vintage nature of the instrument.
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Melissa: I couldn't agree more, a very beautiful instrument. Your comment with regard to the trapeze tailpiece is well taken.

While the "R" tailpiece is the flagship icon for Rickenbacker, I especially like the trapeze tailpiece for its vintage look. The clean lines and plain appearance of the trapeze allows other features of the instrument to standout. One's eye, at least mine, is not drawn toward the trapeze to the same extent as it is with the "R".
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Post by rictified »

Hi Carole, welcome to the forum, and that comment about them being a punk band was just one of my many jokes that are only comprehensible (reprehensible?) to myself I think.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”