The Suzi Arden Show

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

carole

Post by carole »

This is a shot of Suzi and her best friend at the time. I'm sure some of you will recognize the legend herself, Ms. Patsy Cline.
carole

Post by carole »

Suzi Arden is the youngest member of the Darden Family, a prominent country and western, gospel, hillbilly group in the eastern part of Virginia.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great work Carole. This is quickly becoming a most informative collection of Suzi Arden material. You are correct, I am thoroughly enjoying these photos and newspaper clippings.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Yes, all Very fantastic. I live in Virginia(in Winchester, former home and the resting place of Patsy Cline) and never knew Suzi came from Virginia...

Many thanks for contributing, Carole. This is a wonderful thread.
carole

Post by carole »

The Darden Family Bluegrass Festival website has some nice pictures of Suzi and her family. Here is a link or you can copy it into your URL.

http://www.dardenfamilybluegrassfestival.com/
rictified

Post by rictified »

Carole,
Do you know Suzi personally?
carole

Post by carole »

Hi Bob,

Yes, I do.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Hmmm, I might have to take a trip up to NC next year....
Carole, thanks so much for the history and pics of Suzi. This sure has been "inForum-a-tive" (top that, Peter!)
carole

Post by carole »

John, if you will indulge me for a little bit of history. When I was in high school, Suzi Arden was working for an all-girl western group called Abbie Neal and Her Ranch Girls. I was the Publicity Director for Abbie's Fan Club. They were winners of the Arthur Godfrey Talent Scouts Show in New York City and later had a TV show that aired in Pittsburgh, PA. They were all our "stars" as we were growing up. The NC festival reminds me of those early days when we all had so much fun together. Lou Christie, of rock 'n' roll Lightning Strikes, was a member of the fan club. He has attributed Abbie with getting him interested in show business and has given them a very nice tribute on his website, http://www.lou-christie.com/abbie.html.

The picture he shows on the cover of Abbie's CD (it features Suzi Arden) should have been this one. Lou didn't have it available to him so he used another of Abbie's very talented bands instead. In this picture, Suzi Arden is on the left. June Mayes and Candy Lange were the other Ranch Girls. At a later date, Suzi and Candy, worked as a duet on the Red Foley Show in Springfield, MO, until Candy fell in love, had a bundle of kids, and retired to Florida. By the way, I like your "inForum-a-tive." Very clever.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

It's not that far for me either; I hope to catch the show someday soon as well. JWilli, let's make some plans and I'll drag Combo 850 with me....
carole

Post by carole »

Peter: I can't see the picture on-line anymore, but you had some questions. The bass player was Bill Casey and the drummer's last name was Olsen. He was replaced by the Jesse (Garcia, I think). Suzi feels Jesse is the very best drummer. He always did a great job for her.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Carole, Just out of curiosity, does Suzi still play a Rickenbacker?
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
carole

Post by carole »

Hi Melissa,
I wouldn't know the difference. She plays fiddle, bass, guitar, mandolin, you name it. She's very talented in her field. Right now she is at her home in Virginia recovering from surgery. I live in California.

Do you play an instrument?
carole

Post by carole »

John: What's a Combo 850?
carole

Post by carole »

Can't remember if I showed you this clipping or not. Suzi's daughter, Vicki, is on the right of the picture. The guy in the light colored jacket is her nephew, Buddy. We lost him on Sept. 20, 2002. He was only 57.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”