Peter Bucks Sound

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

btomlinson

Peter Bucks Sound

Post by btomlinson »

Does anyone know how Peter Buck gets his sound? I am a long time fan since 85. I know he loves his 330 and the more visible 360. I heard song Bad Day on you tube. It's a very old REM song that they re-did a few years ago. I LOVE the sound. I am curious about the amp and distortion. If i had to guess I would say Vox amp but what do most Vox tube amp users use for distortion? Is it built in or is a pedal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Re: Peter Bucks Sound

Post by longhouse »

Brett, Peter has a large collection of vintage and bizarre amplifiers, but what you're typically hearing is, as you noted, an AC30. Most often I see him with a pair of them. Believe me, a cranked AC30 has some serious grind. For years though Buck has used an old ProCo Rat pedal.

Dig his growling, ringing tone in 'Begin the Begin'. :!:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Really heavy strings (13's IIRC), and the older higains (possibly with the bass cut cap wired in) definitely help.
btomlinson

Post by btomlinson »

Thanks guys. I think the distortion is the key here. I have a 71 Twin Reverb. Do you think it could sound any where close to a VOX? I cannot afford the VOX and do not want to give up my Twin.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

*bump*

The AC30's are pretty visible now, but in the early years, PB favored a Fender Twin Reverb. "Murmur" was mostly Mitch Easter's Ampeg Gemini II, as the Twin was broken at the time. I'm not sure when he finally got into AC30's.

- Scott
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Addendum: Per this interview, PB was still using Twins as of "Fables".
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

It's seriously time for a matching trio of REM signature guitars/basses. A 6, 12, and 4001.
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

I recall an interview from back in the day in which, when asked about amps, Buck said that he could get his tone out of pretty much any amp. Now, musicians have been known to employ misdirection in such situations, but he sure seems to always sound like himself. Twin vs. AC30 is not that similar (and then throw he Gemini into the mix) but there don't seem to be major variations in his tone from album to album (except when he got that Les Paul).
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

rkbsound wrote:It's seriously time for a matching trio of REM signature guitars/basses. A 6, 12, and 4001.
You can already buy them! Just have Pickguardian make you a Peter Buck pickguard.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

What is special about Peter Buck's pickguard?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

rkbsound wrote:What is special about Peter Buck's pickguard?
Well, nothing. Think about it - a Peter Buck signature model would just be a Jetglo 360, right? You can just buy that now. The only thing that makes it not a Peter Buck signature guitar is a Peter Buck signature pickguard. So, get yourself a 360JG, put on some 13's, get Pickguardian to make you a pickguard that says "Peter Buck Limited Edition", and voila!
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Don't forget the stickers! :lol:
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

It does seem like there are enough differences between a stock model today and Peter Buck's guitar to warrant a signature model. Everything from the tuners, the pots, and the neck. I think that leaving off the signature might even be an appropriate nod to the great Peter Buck.
belmondo

Post by belmondo »

rkbsound wrote:What is special about Peter Buck's pickguard?
i got one for you (as long as you dont mind that theres also the scribings of Microwave, Mills and Stipe) ;-)

p.s. from their `99 Up-tour
Attachments
pickguard.jpg
87ric360

Post by 87ric360 »

Here's a pic of his pedalboard inside what looks to be a Clair Brothers monitor cab

Planet Waves CT-04 tuner (top left, barely visable)
Fulltone Fat Boost
Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe
Ibanez UE400 Foot Controller
Maxon AD-999 Analog Delay
Keeley Katana Boost
Proco Rat 2
JuiceBox Power Supply (under the Fulltone Fat Boost)
Red Plectrums :mrgreen:

I once saw a pic of his pedalboard with a red Snarling Dogs wah on it, taken at the R.E.M. AOL sessions on the In Time Tour, I'd be very grateful if anyone has this pic and could post it/send it to me, I've searched all over the net and can't find it :(
When I saw him at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham, UK with Robyn Hitchcock he was using a Visual Sound Route 66 Pedal through a Fender Twin amp. I saw him again with Robyn Hitchcock at The Charlotte in Leicester and he had an Ibanez TS-9 through a small Peavey digital modelling amp, not sure what model. Looks like he was using the TS-9 and some other pedals with R.E.M. at Live8 too if you look at the footage, rather than his full pedalboard.
I play an '87 Rickenbacker 360 in a UK based R.E.M. Tribute Band and design flight cases. | Flightcases.com

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”