Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ataritoobin

LaBelle and a 4001

Post by ataritoobin »

ram

Re: LaBelle and a 4001

Post by ram »

Thanks Steve - a blast from the past. I had forgotten just how good their voices were! I do recall seeing Rics during that period across the board of musical genera.... cool!
brianb

Post by brianb »

That's pretty cool but finger playing with the guard thingy on has to be awkward.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Yeah, I agree...but it doesn't appear to be awkward for 'dude', the guy with the coolest white-boy-bass-player gig of the 70's...

Patti Labell is a Goddess, and her band is b*d*ss...check out the sci-fi epaulets on the conga player, seen in this clip playing left-handed cowbell like the NIST atomic clock. I think it's worth noting that LaBell couldn't have existed without George Cinton and P-Funk...or Sun Ra...etc...'Long live Spacesuit Funk'...

Back to the bassist...he's WAY in the pocket. I'm of the opinion that he's got the 'mute' cranked up...that thing on a 4001 many players never use...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
wayang

Post by wayang »

Okay, on closer inspection, it's a 'mime' gig...I can't tell for sure about Patti and the girls, they could be singing live to the recorded tracks, but the band's definitely on the Marcel Marceau setting...besides the rather obvious lack of horn players on the set, during the 'breakdown' (at 3:06, precisely), there's a sudden conga fill that occurs without the conga player straying from his stellar cowbell-syncing performance. It's at moments like these that Music takes a back seat to its more powerful sibling, Theater...

An impressive bit of stagework, and that's what teevee is all about...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Absolutely love it. Patti is one of the greatest, and I never missed Soul Train when I was growing up. 8)

"Spacesuit Funk?" Haha, I never heard that term before. Perfect. :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
s4001

Post by s4001 »

It's got cowbell & gym whistle. What more could you want?
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Killer!

Love that 70's funk, and seeing some dude using a 4001 in a band like this.
wayang wrote:, seen in this clip playing left-handed cowbell like the NIST atomic clock.
:lol: As ever, priceless DPT!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

thats so funny,i was just watching an info mersh the other day for a (time-life?) series of dvds,and they showed labelle playing on stage,and i was all like "THE BASS PLAYER'S GOT A RICK!!" playing "lady marmalade" no less.....fonkay! gosistersoulsister...... :)
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Very good video! I remember getting curious about certain groups and being surprised by seeing Rics pop up in the youtube videos.

On Saturday nights, the local jazz FM station in the Denver area (89.3) plays 70's funk stuff and this white guy loves listening to it if I'm driving around. I grew up in the Chicago area and have always had a soft spot for groups like the Chi-Lites. I even heard them on 8-track tape! When I was very young I lived in Gary, Indiana when the Jacksons did, but I think they were gone by the late 60's.

On the weekend, I used to watch American Bandstand, then when it was over change channels to catch Soul Train.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Most all of Soul Train was "mimed." Shame. Takes a great groove and minimizes it to triviality. I'll always respect Phil Lesh of the Dead for "playing" a broomstick when the Dead was forced to do a mime gig back in '69.

If you can't do it live, at least be the Beatles (12/66 - ).
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
pabc

Post by pabc »

Does anyone know who the bass player is or what he has done musically over the last 35 years? I can't believe that it has been 35 years since this aired! Loved Soul Train and the funky music of that time!
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

I tried to find info on the bass player, but came up empty. The song was co-written by a fellow who wrote a lot of the Four Seasons songs apparently.

"Lady Marmalade" was on "Nightbirds". One site noted that their musicians changed through the 70's, but they tended to have the same keyboard player. They could never repeat the success of the Billboard #1 "Lady Marmalade" and called it quits by the late 70's.

Cindy Birdsong (the replacement Supreme) was actually in the group in the 60's.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”