Veteran RRF member

Re: Led Zeppelin’s Ricks

Post by kennyhowes »

GK 4603 is here @ RIC HQ.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Is it the one in question, Kenny? The "experimental" 4001s?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

sloop_john_b wrote:Is it the one in question, Kenny? The "experimental" 4001s?
Yup.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Bam.
route66guitars

Post by route66guitars »

kennyhowes wrote:GK 4603 is here @ RIC HQ.

Well, that answers that. Thanks Kenny.

I have a copy of the invoice to Led Zep for that bass, along with the other instruments and amps they kept after the tour. It is marked paid. I wonder why they returned it after the fact?
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

damn, i gots a good nose ! that settles that. enter that in da history books. be nice to have a nice clear pic from a better angle. must be some others floating around. he could not have used it for only the detroit show ????? somebody from here on any zep forums ? ask for links to a better pic. i'm sure they'd help.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

On it.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Here's a clearer one:
jan69-1.jpg
You can really see the tailpiece and body shape here.

Looks like it may have only been used as a backup for his Jazz:
jan69-0.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Came across this interesting one. Does this look like a Jetglo 12-string headstock to anyone else? From the Fillmore West, 1/10/69:
1-10-69-b.jpg
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

yer da best, sloop. keep us posted. saw a pic of the who on the whotabs site and a wrongly captioned pic says john was using his 1999 but had a 4005 in the pic. the large triangles were quite evident on the fretboard. i guess us folks just look a little closer, eh ?
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Kenny, don't suppose when you went to check that serial number you took a pic of it with your cell phone? Just asking...
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
JazzBoneDaddy

Post by JazzBoneDaddy »

Scott,
I appear to own the answer to one of your "registry" issues. I am the owner of Rickenbacker model 625, serial number GK4452 - one of the Ricks loaned to Led Zeppelin in January, 1969. As it turns out, the band's equipment didn't show up for their first Detroit show (1/17/69) due to bad weather. Wonderland Music arranged for replacement equipment for that show, which must be why Rickenbacker loaned them guitars (they were already supplying the amplifiers). I purchased this guitar from Wonderland Music around 1984.

Wow! Whew knew?

Chris Shannon
JazzBoneDaddy

Post by JazzBoneDaddy »

I appear to own the answer to one of your "registry" issues. I am the owner of Rickenbacker model 625, serial number GK4452 - one of the Ricks loaned to Led Zeppelin in January, 1969. As it turns out, the band's equipment didn't show up for their first Detroit show (1/17/69) due to bad weather. Wonderland Music arranged for replacement equipment for that show, which must be why Rickenbacker loaned them guitars (they were already supplying the amplifiers). I purchased this guitar from Wonderland Music around 1984.

I'd like to find out how Scott got ahold of those documents showing which instruments were loaned to Led Zeppelin.

Also, there's some near information that sheds more light on this small but interesting episode in the history of Led Zeppelin. Coming from the official Zeppelin website is a story about how bad weather kept most of the equipment from making it to Detroit for the 1/17/69 show. As Rickenbacker were already supplying amplifiers, a quick call to one of their biggest dealers in the area got guitars into the hands of the band in no time. A near-total lack of pictures from those 3 days - especially the 1/17 show makes determining if any Rickenbackers were actually used in the show. That said, at least I know my 625 was there at the Grande Ballroom, ready if needed.

Chris Shannon
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

I never suspected this Rick connection for Zep other than the Transonics. Wish there were pics of all these instruments.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

JazzBoneDaddy wrote:Scott,

Wow! Whew knew?

Chris Shannon
Chris:

Could you please post some pictures of your 625? :D :D
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620