Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

spongebob
Intermediate Member

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Post by spongebob »

Simple question that's always got me -

Nicky Wire on the Holy Bible LP - Ric, or not?

He was always playing them around this time - and used one in the video for 'Faster' from this album.

However, he was also playing a Jazz a fair bit too - and I've always wondered if the album was recorded with a Ric (I believe it was, BTW).

Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFrDu3Kyx8
1974 (February) 4001 JG
JM82

Re: Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Post by JM82 »

hmmm, not sure, it does sound like a Ric, but theres a lot of overdrive on the bass on that album so could be J bass too or a both... I read somewhere that James Dean Bradfield played some of the bass tracks on the album as he wrote most if not all the parts and Nicky Wire learnt them afterwards for gigs. Perhaps JDB would have preferred the neck and slightly shorter scale of a ric in this case? Either way there are some great bass lines/tones on the Holy Bible.

Nicky Wire seemed to use a ric for videos and a J-bass for live for most of the Manics earlier career, though some early photos show him with the Ric live (generation terrorist era). I would imagine that he switched between the two as he felt like it.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Post by doctorwho »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I saw a picture of one of the guitarists playing a Rickenbacker 340/12 FG, so I thought I'd see if the band was mentioned in this section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manic ... 2005-4.jpg
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”