Terence Trent D'arby

Post by Trav »

Anyone know anything about this?

[Image]
'86 330/6 Ruby, 660/6 DCM, 360/12 CW FG
Trav

Re: Terence Trent D'arby

Post by Trav »

Here it is used in this video, could be a faker, certainly modified....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJeeYpg6yfg
scotty

Post by scotty »

Trav wrote:Anyone know anything about this?

[Image]
Yeah he was not very good......... :lol:
Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

That is seriously bad taste....yuk. :shock:
"You can't separate Sarah from her RickenBACKers"

http://www.myspace.com/transientfew
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

scotty wrote:
Trav wrote:Anyone know anything about this?

[Image]
Yeah he was not very good......... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

After making it through the whole video, there was not a good enough shot to tell if it is a Rick of not. My guess from what I did see is no.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

If you look at the clip closely, you'll see it's a horrid tasteless piece of work....

then there's the guitar.....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

antipodean wrote:If you look at the clip closely, you'll see it's a horrid tasteless piece of work....

then there's the guitar.....
I agree 100% with this summation and I will add that I reckon that the guitar only vaguely resembles a Rickenbacker.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

It looks more like a real Ric in this clip.

Trav

Post by Trav »

Lordy, no Love for Terry then! An extremely talented and misunderstood (obviously) artist in my opoinion, still would like to know more about the guitar.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

TTD shot his career in the foot when he began spouting "I'm better than the Beatles", but I took it for what it was: the ego-driven drivel of a talented young guy who was being told daily he was great.

'The Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby' remains one of the great 80s records. My acoustic groups covers 'Sign Your Name' (with some ripping solos the original should have had) and even 'Wishing Well' if we have an energetic crowd.

I think lots of people probably can't remember which songs were done by Prince -by Living Color -by Milli Vanilli -or by Terence. :? Such is pop culture.

I followed the youtube links to a few recent performances. His voice is still quite strong, but the real question is how does he stay so fit?!?.
He should market an ab. product maybe.
SparksySE1

Post by SparksySE1 »

I know all about this guitar.
It's was built by an amazing luthier named Tim DeWhalley who made Ampro active electronics back in the 1980s. It was based very much on a Ricky. All active electronics, black finish with Tim's trade mark ebony fretboard. I think it had skull and crossbones fretmarkers – or one of the guitars which had lighting up LEDs (although could have been one of the teles)
I created the Trerence Trent Darby lettering on the headstock. Tim also made a "telecaster" with a clock in it and one with a TV which hooked up to the film crew at concerts.
He gave one of these to Prince. I would dearly love to contact Tim, he moved to New Zealand and I've not been able to contact him.
SparksySE1

Post by SparksySE1 »

I know all about this guitar.
It's was built by an amazing luthier named Tim DeWhalley who made Ampro active electronics back in the 1980s. It was based very much on a Ricky. All active electronics, black finish with Tim's trade mark ebony fretboard. I think it had skull and crossbones fretmarkers – or one of the guitars which had lighting up LEDs (although could have been one of the teles)
I created the Trerence Trent Darby lettering on the headstock. Tim also made a "telecaster" with a clock in it and one with a TV which hooked up to the film crew at concerts.
He gave one of these to Prince. I would dearly love to contact Tim, he moved to New Zealand and I've not been able to contact him.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Very cool, thanks for checking in Rob!
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

Trav wrote:Lordy, no Love for Terry then! An extremely talented and misunderstood (obviously) artist in my opoinion, still would like to know more about the guitar.
I saw him live at Manchester Apollo once. He was absolutely tremendous.
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

Huuuuge Trent Darby fan, even under a different name. I'm surprised he didn't get even bigger. Maybe it was moving to Europe when he did, falling in love, whatever, that made him take a left turn.

Scratchy voices are killer on albums!

...wisdom
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”