Re: Pete Quaife

Post by Trav »

RIP Pete.
'86 330/6 Ruby, 660/6 DCM, 360/12 CW FG
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

The new October 2010 Bass Player magazine has a short interview with Dave Davies regarding Pete. There's a large of him holding the RM1999 backstage.

Dave related that Pete favored the RM1999 for live gigs. He got it after using the semi-acoustic Hofner (Club bass with F holes?) initially, however, it was feedback prone. One they started making some money he went out a bought a "proper" bass (the RM1999).
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Supposed to be working...
Three Kinks
Three Kinks
Peter Quaife 1.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
PQ&R
PQ&R
Don't let democracy end democracy.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

RIP Pete! So sorry to hear of his passing, and I too missed it completely. Rare talent and a real original, the Kinks WON because Pete ended up on bass IMHO
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Peter Quaife, Rick and Vox:
Peter Quaife, Rick and Vox.JPG
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I consider myself most fortunate to have had a couple of interesting internet discussions with Pete Quaife. The Kinks were magic in their time. I loved their unique style.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

That's amazing. It's so easy to feel the distance between our heroes' and our own lives. That picture stood out, the combination of pose, bass and amp.

I met a guy who argued that Waterloo Sunset was boring and that the Kinks lost it when they quit doing the power chord thing! As if! Dead End Street!?

As a musician and personality Mr. Quaife seemed like a stabilizing force in that band, but what do I know? I just love their records. Especially the early power chording rockers!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hardly boring in my book but I respect that one person's music is another person's noise. I made a few notes following my discussion with Peter Quaife http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/quaife.html
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”