McGuinns 12 string

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bowser2533

McGuinns 12 string

Post by bowser2533 »

Rogers 12 string that he used on the Byrds first album sounds fantastic. I was just wondering if it was beefed up in any way or was it totally stock ?It would have to been bought in late 64. In my opinion the sound and the tone of it on this record knocks me out everytime i listen to it. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks Gary
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: McGuinns 12 string

Post by jimk »

As far as I know, his first Rick was stock with two toasters. What gave it that signature jangle was the use of two Fairchild compressors in the studio. These were tube driven compressors. IMHO, the best we can do today is the Jangle Box compressor.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jimk wrote:...What gave it that signature jangle was the use of two Fairchild compressors in the studio. These were tube driven compressors. IMHO, the best we can do today is the Jangle Box compressor.
JimK
These may work in a pinch:

http://www.analoguetube.com/mainpage.html 8)
8mileshigher

McGuinns 12 string

Post by 8mileshigher »

JK is correct about the studio compressor on the first album(s) and a stock Ric 12 string guitar.

Here's a couple of other threads about "Byrd" wiring on later-edition Ric(s) used by McGuinn

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=391037&p=570896&hi ... on#p570896

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=348302&p=348302&hil ... on#p348302

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2246&p=2246&hilit= ... tion#p2246

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=392691&p=592018&hilit=Byrd#p592018
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

No, at the time of the first record, McGuinn's guitar was not entirely stock. According to an article in the May 1997 issue of "Guitar Player," entitled "Chimes of Freedom: Ringing Up The Byrds' Jangle Guitar Sound," McGuinn initially had his 360/12 restrung like a conventional acoustic 12 (ie. with the octave pairs reversed so that the high string is struck first on downstrokes). As far as I know, there's no record of exactly when he reverted to the "correct" Rickenbacker stringing, although, in his instructional DVD (which came out in 1996), he makes a case for the virtues of Ric-style stringing, and in several interviews over the years, he has repeatedly and emphatically stated that he prefers the stock low-high octave configuration. As JimK has suggested, the compressors Roger was using at the time of the first Byrds record were also an important tone element. As one seasoned guitar player I know once told me, "McGuinn's tone is one of the hardest to nail." 8)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Thanks for setting the record straight regarding the string arrangement of McGuinn's first Rick. I had not realized that. And yes, you are most certainly correct when you say the his tone is one of the hardest to nail. For me personally it's one of those situations where good enough for government work is good enough.
JimK
bowser2533

email address

Post by bowser2533 »

Does anyone know if roger Mcguinn has a public email address? Thanks Gary
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

If I recall correctly, he gives his e-mail address at the end of his instructional video, "The 12-String Guitar of Roger McGuinn."
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Isn't that video like 20 years old? I remember he was great about communicating with the public when the internets was young but, while I don't know, I wouldn't expect it to be so easy to drop him a line and get a reply these days. I would imagine he is inundated with fan emails now.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jdogric12 wrote:Isn't that video like 20 years old? I remember he was great about communicating with the public when the internets was young but, while I don't know, I wouldn't expect it to be so easy to drop him a line and get a reply these days. I would imagine he is inundated with fan emails now.
Roger had a mailing list years ago. I signed up and never received any communication....
There also was an email address on his website (since removed). I sent an email asking a question about 8MH. Never got a response. I have also sent an email to Camilla and received no reply to that one, either. There are people on the RRF who have gotten responses from Roger recently, but I don't know what email address they are using.
I sent an email to Susanna Hoffs one time and got no answer. It's difficult for me to believe that either one of these artists are being inundated with emails, since they are both well past their prime popularity.

On the other hand, the Canadian duo DaLa (who I am seeing in concert Sunday night), responded to my email within a few hours. I guess that once you are famous, you don't need to care as much about the fans. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

beatbyrd wrote:It's difficult for me to believe that either one of these artists are being inundated with emails, since they are both well past their prime popularity.
I have to disagree on this one...

I'd be certain if they publicly post an email address to contact them at, it would be flooded with emails. Back in 1999, not so much (hence the personal and thoughtful responses I got from RM back then), but today? Heck yes. These forums are the perfect evidence of

1) their sustained popularity (kind of like how a billionaire who loses 90% of his or her wealth is still pretty well off)

and
2) the fact that that audience is technologically savvy enough to avail themselves of that seemingly open avenue (since they're already on a forum, probably know how to send an email).
silvergp05

Post by silvergp05 »

I own the DVD "the 12 string guitar of Roger McGuinn" and no e-mail address is given. I really like Roger's personality on this DVD, but recently I've seen him on some talk shows and some videos on U-Tube and he's like a totally different person. Seems completely into himself and actually bored about being there.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

silvergp05 wrote:Seems completely into himself and actually bored about being there.
I haven't seen what you're talking about, but I wouldn't be surprised, and both are sadly understandable imho.
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

37012player

Post by 37012player »

Folkie wrote:No, at the time of the first record, McGuinn's guitar was not entirely stock. According to an article in the May 1997 issue of "Guitar Player," entitled "Chimes of Freedom: Ringing Up The Byrds' Jangle Guitar Sound," McGuinn initially had his 360/12 restrung like a conventional acoustic 12 (ie. with the octave pairs reversed so that the high string is struck first on downstrokes).
This is an incorrect assumption by Guitar Player Magazine based on the sound of the first album. His first rick (DJ451, Built OCTOBER 1964) was a dead standard 360/12 with what we consider standard Rick stringing of string pairs. On the first album in the studio RM played with a Thumb pick and Finger picks on his 1st and 2nd fingers, thereby up picking notes on all strings other than those played with his thumb, hence the Guitar Player assumption.

He changed his style and "moved" the finger picks down to his 2nd and 3rd fingers by necessity when the Byrds took off and they were playing live (so he could solo more effectively), and this accounts for more downward strokes when playing after MTM album. This is how he still plays today. He had a new nut fitted by RIC at the same time he had his Byrd wiring installed for the 1st time, by the factory on this 1st Byrd rick, but again it was standard rick string pair arrangement.

Hope this helps. His earliest sound was Epiphone amp, studio effect compression etc, nickel flat wound strings (standard factory fitted).. and a dead stock rick 1964 360/12 guitar.

Si..

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”