Peter Buck gear

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnhall
RIC

Re: Peter Buck gear

Post by johnhall »

It does, by his request.

The metal work on these is really nice and the design does allow the saddle to move as the vibrato is actuated. However, its design also makes it impossible to perfectly set intonate in all cases (which was very true in the case of this guitar).

Due to the saddle design (which is in itself rather clever) the intonation adjustments are interactive. For example, you can set the B string correctly and then move the hi-E into pitch as well. Unfortunately, that also moves the G string setting. Try and set the G string right- and the hi-E goes out. In most cases there will be a compromise that can be found that's a compromise but by design it will never, ever be as accurate as six separately adjustable saddles.

Speaking personally, I would use the Mastery on a guitar with a vibrato, since that's already a set of compromises but I wouldn't use it on a non-vibrato instrument.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

I suppose, by default, that this is the Peter Buck model! Pretty cool.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks, David, for sharing that photo. The guitar looks like a real beauty, even though the Bigsby is a little unorthodox on a Ric. Thanks, also, for the heads up about the tour. I hope some of the concert material shows up on YouTube. 8)
Skiptracer

Post by Skiptracer »

360s look so good in jetglo. Like a tuxedo.
Fretboard grain jumps out more with the lacquer on it, but I imagine it's a little quicker to navigate the board without the lacquer. Then again, maple board teles have lacquer on them, and they play fine.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”