Favorite Artist's Ric Bass Moments

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Re: Favorite Artist's Ric Bass Moments

Post by rickboy88 »

To my ears, the bass style is all syncopated McCartney during the Sgt. Peppers Ric period. I've read Geoff Emerick's book ("Here, there, and everywhere...) where he notes that later in the Beatles the typical routine was Paul adding on the final bass line last where he could hear everything. Emerick would help him lug the amp in place, etc., after the others had left. Emerick also noted in the book that Lennon didn't have a great feel for bass. Admittedly, he wasn't a huge fan of Lennon's nasty personality at times.
Lennon might have played bass on early takes when songs were worked, but Sgt. Peppers was very much layered, even with their primitive four track Studer.

"Hey Jude" was Lennon on bass as far I remember and can hear, but other than that I'm not so sure.

McCartney was very definite on the bass parts of his songs. I remember a story where he told Badfinger something like "Do it just like I've done lads and you'll have a hit." The song was "Come and Get it." If you listen to McCarney's demo, they essentially copied 90% of the bass line and the rest.

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

Lewisohn, I think, criticizes Lennon's bass work on "The Long and Winding Road" and points out the times of the **** ups in the song. Lennon was a great musician of the kind, but I really just don't hear him in the bass of Fixing a Hole.

McCartney's demo of "Come and Get It" is wonderful.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

It doesn't get much better than this for me...

CageyPea

Post by CageyPea »

Mike Mills's work on R.E.M.'s "Reckoning", especially "7 Chinese Bros.", "Harborcoat" and "So. Central Rain". I remember them performing So. Central Rain on Letterman at that time -- both Mills and Peter Buck had gorgeous Jetglo's in hand.

Oh, wait: here it is!
"Music so wishes to be heard that sometimes it calls on unlikely characters to give it voice, and ears." -- Robert Fripp
1976 4001, ivoried White
1997 4003s/5, Jetglo
2003 4004Cii"/5", Mapleglo
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I agree with you, Kevin, but what about "Fables of the Reconstruction"? How about "Maps and Legends," "Can't Get There from Here," and especially "Old Man Kensey"? The retro-Byrds electric 12-string sound on "Fables" is so distinctive that one tends to overlook Mike Mills' inventive and punchy bass lines. And if you go back to "Murmur," you could list songs like "Radio Free Europe," "Pilgrimage," "9-9," "Catapult," and so many others. Mike Mills is one of the most underrated bass players to emerge from the early to mid-80's indie scene. His deceptively simple bass lines deserve a closer listen. 8)
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

At some point, Mike Mills switched from his Rickenbacker 4001 basses to a Guild Pilot bass--at least live. I remember seeing him play the Guild and I was very disappointed, since Peter Buck was playing a black Fender Telecaster Custom on most songs. I believe this was the Reckoning tour.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I forgot to mention "Laughing," from Mumur, which has one of the most creative bass lines I've ever heard! 8)
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

This one. Especially 3:00 - 4:00. First Rush tour that I saw.

'turn up the bass'
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I ought really to say the entire Sgt. Pepper / Magical Mystery tour era. Granted, I'm a huge McCartney fan, but every bass note from that period sounds so great. The choices he makes as a bassist adds something to those songs. He manages to play some complex lines but in such a way that they make the songs fly. Imagine the bass for "With a Little Help" played by someone who keeps to the bottom strings and does a good if undistinguished job.

http://youtu.be/ZbBprURPYFA
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
teeder

Post by teeder »

the entire Sgt. Pepper / Magical Mystery tour era
+1! The tone is perfect! Roughly, Penny Lane through Hey Bull Dog.I can't get enough of his bass during this time.

Other than Sir Paul, the other notable Rick bass moments for me were, Roundabout and the entire 2112 album. As a kid, I just knew these were different. :)
Mr.Pointy

Post by Mr.Pointy »

Like many here, it is hard for me to say.... but Macca Wings Era and m-d late Beatles (MMT, SPLHCB) is really the core for me, along with Geddy's Early-mid Rush... explains why my first RIC (which was when I could afford it, not when I wanted it) was a 4001C64S in JetGlo. . shape as Macca's and finish as Geddy's.... That being said.. being a teen in the late 70s and in College in the early 80s, I was inspired again by Bruce Foxton from The Jam (In the City) and SteveSmith from the Vapors (news at 10, waiting for the weekend) and Mike Mills from REM (radio free Europe and more). While I like other basses too, I've always been a Ric guy from early on, even before I played one.... oh so many great players.. so many great basses....
eschew obfuscation

RIC: 4004LK; 4001C64S Glossy JG;4003 Mapleglo ||Other: Fender '74Jazz; Fender '75 P; Gibson '81 Grabber; G&L '81 L-1000; '16 Lakland 44-60
CageyPea

Post by CageyPea »

Robert et al. -- oh, I agree re: Mills on early R.E.M.; too many choice cuts to choose from! "9-9", "Laughing" especially, indeed -- first impressions are the strongest though, which is why I cited 'Reckoning'; his little C-Major melodic line in "So. Central Rain" after the chorus was so effective and affecting, and it still just sticks with me after all these years.

I too was disappointed when he showed up with the Guild pilot -- there's a video of them live in ~'85 or so ('Lifes Rich Pageant' tour, I suppose) wherein they open with "Harborcoat", and it just ain't the same on the Guild! Later on as they hit the big time he wound up on the requisite, cred-procuring pre-CBS Fenders, and became more of a "pocket" player, which I respect of course, but -- dammit, it all sounds quite boring compared to to his more adventurous Ric era!
"Music so wishes to be heard that sometimes it calls on unlikely characters to give it voice, and ears." -- Robert Fripp
1976 4001, ivoried White
1997 4003s/5, Jetglo
2003 4004Cii"/5", Mapleglo

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”