Chicks With Ricks

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: Chicks With Ricks

Post by Tommy »

johnhall wrote:So, what basis would you propose?
Stock. Must be 100% stock to be a Rickenbacker.
As soon as a player even change strings over to a non-factory brand, well, they are no longer playing a real Rickenbacker.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

And as soon as you take that hat off, you're no longer a Puritan.
puritan.jpg
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

teeder wrote:We "cheat" and tune down 1/2 step.
That must sound sludgy! I'd love to hear it.
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

I don't think it was her main Bass but here's an early shot (1988) of Sean Yseult, bassist for White Zombie, bringing the rock...
Attachments
White Zombie Sean Yseult Rick Bass 1988 r1.jpg
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Danotron wrote:I don't think it was her main Bass but here's an early shot (1988) of Sean Yseult, bassist for White Zombie
Especially with that paint job, it probably was until she got paid to play something else, like a Schecter.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

rickenbrother wrote:
Danotron wrote:I don't think it was her main Bass but here's an early shot (1988) of Sean Yseult, bassist for White Zombie
Especially with that paint job, it probably was until she got paid to play something else, like a Schecter.
Yeah. I didn't realize how common endorsements/lockdowns are. A girl I run into in the local scene all the time is an Epiphone endorser, so she gets a new mid-level Epi Les Paul every six-twelve months. Good for her I guess, but I hardly envy the situation. I know she has other guitars she likes to play.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

cassius987 wrote:Yeah. I didn't realize how common endorsements/lockdowns are. A girl I run into in the local scene all the time is an Epiphone endorser, so she gets a new mid-level Epi Les Paul every six-twelve months. Good for her I guess, but I hardly envy the situation. I know she has other guitars she likes to play.
I'm not aware that any manufacturer has done any type of endorsement that would preclude the artist from using some other guitar. But I have run into artists, usually of the local variety, that claim to have endorsement deals and also claim they are not allowed to use other products.

I ran into a bass player in my hometown, a member of a Beatles music band, and offered to lend him a bass for some important gigs. He claimed to be endorsed by a brand that couldn't be more un-Beatles-like, and insisted his contract required he use their instrument. Given that the CEO and owner of the firm is a good friend of mine, I called him up and asked about this. He laughed and said that the musician in question was allowed to purchase instruments from time to time at a good price but other than that there was no other "deal".

Another time, I visited Glenn Frey and Don Felder in the studio in L.A. Over in the corner was a mountainous stack of Takamine guitars, still in boxes. I asked about those and Glenn told me that the folks at Takamine always came by and dropped off a bunch of guitars for them to have. He asked if I'd like to take a couple home with me. And, of course, these guys continued on using whatever guitar they felt like.

So, there's both ends of the "endorsement" spectrum. This also suggests many people have no idea of what their agreements- if they even have an agreement- call for.
Last edited by johnhall on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

I guess "Take-one-a-mine" is a well deserved name for the brand then!! :P :P :P
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Maybe they should donate them to a school or performance hall instead of letting them sit around.
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

johnhall wrote:
cassius987 wrote:Yeah. I didn't realize how common endorsements/lockdowns are. A girl I run into in the local scene all the time is an Epiphone endorser, so she gets a new mid-level Epi Les Paul every six-twelve months. Good for her I guess, but I hardly envy the situation. I know she has other guitars she likes to play.
I'm not aware that any manufacturer has done any type of endorsement that would preclude the artist from using some other guitar. But I have run into artists, usually of the local variety, that claim to have endorsement deals and also claim they are not allowed to use other products.

I ran into a bass player in my hometown, a member of a Beatles music band, and offered to lend him a bass for some important gigs. He claimed to be endorsed by a brand that couldn't be more un-Beatles-like, and insisted his contract required he use their instrument. Given that the CEO and owner of the firm is a good friend of mine, I called him up and asked about this. He laughed and said that the musician in question was allowed to purchase instruments from time to time at a good price but other than that there was no other "deal".
Thanks for clearing that up John.

Playing in a local gigging band I run into this type of comment a lot (of people being "endoresd" by a specific brand). I've often found myself thinking "why"? :)
David Watts

Post by David Watts »

Tommy wrote:
johnhall wrote:So, what basis would you propose?
Stock. Must be 100% stock to be a Rickenbacker.
As soon as a player even change strings over to a non-factory brand, well, they are no longer playing a real Rickenbacker.
If i understand you well this would not be a real Rickenbacker ?
:lol:
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Nope, not a real Ric. Lennon modified that guitar sooo much. He even played with non-Rickenbacker brand strings!!!

My stock 325c64 that I just bought (still have the factory strings on her) is a real Rickenbacker. I even bought extra Ric polishing cloths. You use a different cloth on your guitar, you instanty disqualify your Ric from being considered a real Ric. Lennon may be the most famous Ric player, but he doesn't live up to the 100% stock rule.

I come by this 100% stock rule from being a classic car owner and attending many car shows. Must be stock to win the grand prize. You change a radio knob on one of those cars you go home in last place. Lennon changed more than knobs on his guitar.
collin

Post by collin »

johnhall wrote:

Another time, I visited Glenn Frey and Don Felder in the studio in L.A. Over in the corner was a mountainous stack of Takamine guitars, still in boxes. I asked about those and Glenn told me that the folks at Takamine always came by and dropped off a bunch of guitars for them to have. He asked if I'd like to take a couple home with me. And, of course, these guys continued on using whatever guitar they felt like.

So, there's both ends of the "endorsement" spectrum. This also suggests many people have no idea of what their agreements- if they even have an agreement- call for.

Both stories are pretty good. :lol:

I also run into people all the time that proudly announce their "endorsements" ....but are really just getting product at reduced prices. If you have to buy it, it's not an endorsement IMO.
teeder

Post by teeder »

I find this thread drift very offensive!

collin

Post by collin »

teeder wrote:I find this thread drift very offensive!

I find your offense at this thread drift offensive.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”