The La's

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Stevewg22

The La's

Post by Stevewg22 »

One of my all-time favorite Ric 12 songs. Just found this today on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVd2x0EpnYA
bdawson7

Re: The La's

Post by bdawson7 »

One of my favorite albums too.

Looks like Sid from the Late Show playing the electric here. Dave asks at the end are there others in the group? and then says there are two here and two that didn't come.

I so wish there was more music from this band!
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

I could never figure out the Letterman policy of forcing bands to play with his house band.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

rkbsound wrote:I could never figure out the Letterman policy of forcing bands to play with his house band.
Probably because the house band is better and a known quantity, rather like using the Wrecking Crew 50 years ago. Sounds a bit cynical, doesn't it? Oh well.....
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Beautiful, chiming Rickenbacker sound! Believe it or not, I'd never heard of the band before. Is it possible that's a Fireglo 360/6 rather than a 360/12? (It's a little hard to see the octave strings in the opening closeup of the neck, although it's possible the octaves are reversed.) In one shot of the headstock, there seem to be additional tuners. Anyway great sound. Thanks for posting!
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Folkie wrote:Beautiful, chiming Rickenbacker sound! Believe it or not, I'd never heard of the band before. Is it possible that's a Fireglo 360/6 rather than a 360/12? (It's a little hard to see the octave strings in the opening closeup of the neck, although it's possible the octaves are reversed.) In one shot of the headstock, there seem to be additional tuners. Anyway great sound. Thanks for posting!
I saw the La's at the old (original) 9:30 Club in Washington, DC a gazillion years ago and they were ear-splittingly loud. It was painful — even when I was able to endure that sort of sound. A wreck of a show and a real shame because I liked their music.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

After several looks at that opening shot of the guitar neck, I would say the Ric is definitely a Fireglo 360/12, strung traditionally. That clip has been my introduction to The La's, so can someone please recommend a CD of theirs with plenty of 12-string on it?
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

ohhh wow, I'd heard that song a million times and never knew who actually did it!!thank you for posting that! any day I can learn something is a good day :)
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
David Watts

Post by David Watts »

Folkie wrote:After several looks at that opening shot of the guitar neck, I would say the Ric is definitely a Fireglo 360/12, strung traditionally. That clip has been my introduction to The La's, so can someone please recommend a CD of theirs with plenty of 12-string on it?
They only made one LP so you have no other choice than that first album.
One of my favourites from the 90's.
dogload

Post by dogload »

Ah, The La's!

Flawed beauty. They showed so much potential but they just imploded. Lee Mavers was such a perfectionist- if I recall correctly, he completely disowned that first album as it didn't sound authentic enough.
It's such a shame they never blossomed from their first record, although there are various bootlegs and out-take albums kicking around on the net if you can't get enough.
Um... my band
The Type Five
And some tunes here:
The Type Five at Bandcamp

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”