Deep Purple

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Re: Deep Purple

Post by chrisdski »

I didn't realize till recently that Ian Gillan was Jesus in the late 1960s cast of "Jesus Christ Superstar". Great sound track!
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

chrisdski wrote:I didn't realize till recently that Ian Gillan was Jesus in the late 1960s cast of "Jesus Christ Superstar". Great sound track!
Murray Head was Judas on ghat recording. I still have the purple bound box set of that version. Spectacular music.

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I loved Tommy Bolin, and even his playing on "Come Taste the Band" but Blackmore is da man for Deep Purple. For me, anyway...

I remember years ago though, that the rest of Deep Purple, including Jon Lord (R.I.P) were pretty exasperated with him. Sounds like he isn't the easiest person to work with....
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I loved Bolin's playing too. Zephyr, Spectrum and Come Taste the Band. I saw him in Chicago just before he died. In an interview Ian Paice said Tommy was great in the studio but couldn't deliver in front of ten thousand people, he'd choke. It's a sad story. Too bad he couldn't just hang as a studio guy.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
spongebob
Intermediate Member

Post by spongebob »

I've always loved 'Come Taste The Band' - one of my fave DP albums. Love the Mk. 3 records too.

There's some great live stuff available from the original Glover era in which he doing great stuff on his 4001 - 'Copenhagen 1972' for one. :D
1974 (February) 4001 JG
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Looking at that pic of Glovers bass, it appears to me that the bridge pu cover is the older, metal type, before they went to the plastic...

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”