Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

RIP Lemmy Kilmister

Post by collin »

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: RIP Lemmy Kilmister

Post by jps »

I read recently that he was in poor health, not sure what the issue was. R.I.P LK.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

A Rickenbacker icon. You get the feeling that he lived a lot in those 70 years.
image.jpeg
collin

Post by collin »

Apparently he learned he had cancer on December 26....and died 48 hours later. Talk about aggressive cancer!

Sad to see him go, what a legend. He lived hard, it's amazing he made it to 70 (and that Keith Richards is still alive..).

I've seen Motorhead a number of times over the years and Lemmy was always great...and LOUD!
Dom

Post by Dom »

Effing 'ell, he's gone. Lemmy was like Rock "N Roll itself distilled into a primal force of nature, then let go on the unsuspecting public. His bass tone was a call to Rock 'N Roll arms. Starting out I wanted the angriest sounding guitar I could find and in the booth where I first tried out my Ric, saw a poster of Lemmy with his. I knew I was on the right track...no offense to the Tom Petty poster on the other side of the booth. Lemmy's tone just floors me. Lemmy ran the gambit from the trippy days of Hawkwind to creating music's equivalent to a drunken right-hook with Motorhead. And his voice sounded like he was screaming for all humanity. What a sound. I'm downing a shot of whiskey for Lemmy.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

RIP Lemmy.
Certainly a one of a kind rock and roll man.
Never thought he could die. And I still don't think so.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Two heroes of the Rickenbacker bass sound left us this year, first Chris and now Lemmy, what a loss! Rest in peace guys!
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

What a terrible year this has been on so many levels. Even ignoring personal issues, so many heroes gone, musical and otherwise. I play bass, and more importantly play bass the way I do (and play the brand of bass I play), because of Lemmy. I learnt to play, 35 years ago now, by playing along with those early Hawkwind albums, in particular Space Ritual. Back then he was my idol and inspiration. I met him a couple of times over the years and chatted about Blackpool as he lived here for a while; he was always really nice and genuine. I'll never forget his great line at the Motorheadbangers (fan club) party at the Ritz in Manchester back in the day, whilst being followed around by awestruck fans; "I don't know what you're following me for, I don't know where I'm going!". R.I.P. mate. I'll miss you immensely.
spongebob
Intermediate Member

Post by spongebob »

Heard this on the radio first thing. Devastated.

I'm another 'Ricky because of Lemmy' players - became a fan at 13 in 1987, and never looked back. The crushing bass tone, and the look....I just had to have one! I've loved all their records, seen a few gigs, and was planning to go again. Bands and tastes come and go, but I've always been a Motorhead fanatic.

What an inspiration, and such a sad loss. RIP Lem.
1974 (February) 4001 JG
rickenbastard

Post by rickenbastard »

Lemmy is 50% of why I play a Rick. Truly a sad time.
September 1978 4001 JG (Jeff Goldblum)
May 2014 4003W (Walter Sobchak)
December 1995 4003 MG (Bass of Spades)
Boogie

Post by Boogie »

Lemmy was Motörhead, and he played rock n' roll.

R.I.P. Lemmy
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

There goes another part of my childhood,R.I.P sir. :(
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Jeez, Lemmy and Chris Squire in just about six months. This has been a sad year for us. :cry:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Bad year for the RicMeisters. Paul and Geddy had better hide under a rock for the next few days.

RIP Rickenbastard.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I was very saddened to hear of his passing, it has been a tough year for Rick bassists. First heard Lemmy in the early '70s from a bandmate who played me some Hawkwind, He was an original, there'll never be another like him...

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”