Gardening at Night

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Folkie
Advanced Member

Gardening at Night

Post by Folkie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRvA4TFLlEk

This is near the top of my list of favorite R.E.M. songs, and is apparently one of the band's absolute favorites as well (they chose it as the encore for their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony). I've always thought there was at least one electric 12-string track on this one (although there's an electric sitar in the mix, too). Does anyone know whether Peter was playing Mitch Easter's Fender XII on this track?

Mitch, if you're still lurking out there, I would love to hear from you on this issue.

Robert
kt66

Re: Gardening at Night

Post by kt66 »

Would love to know more about the guitar layering on this from Mitch
I think the Fender was the only XII used in 82-84 period.
I always thought I could hear an acoustic, but it must be the Sitar (Coral?)
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I've heard contradictory information about the 1982-1984 period. Specifically, Mitch Easter's Fender XII makes at least one appearance on Reckoning (the famous intro to "So. Central Rain"). This has been corroborated here by Mitch Easter.

But Peter Buck said in an interview for one of the guitar magazines (I can't remember which) that, "On the chorus to '7 Chinese Bros.', I got a great 12-string sound from my Rickenbacker." I was under the impression that Peter's Jetglo 360/12 didn't appear until 1985, on Fables.

Once again, I'm sure Mitch has some insights, but he hasn't posted in ages. And I'm hoping Sweden is still lurking, although he hasn't posted in a long time either.

Robert
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Some of the "acoustic" sound can be the acoustically recorded 12 string. Peter said that they used to do that, record the 12 string mic'ed like an acoustic without P/U
I still wondering about the "sitar" sound. I am opting that it came from the 12 string with effects over it
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”