Kenny Vaughn (Marty Stuart band) rocks a Rick

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Kenny Vaughn (Marty Stuart band) rocks a Rick

Post by beatbyrd »

Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives just released a new CD, "Way Out West". It was produced by Mike Campbell. Apparently, Mike had a bit of Rick influence. Kenny Vaughn, who is normally pickin' a Tele, swaps out for a Rick 12 string during one of the cuts from the new CD. It's great to hear the combination of Clarence White's original B-Bender along with the Rick. I've seen this band live twice (once with McGuinn) and they are absolutely terrific. The new CD is also great - lots of surf / spy / spaghetti western twang, with a side helping of Bakersfield, and just a touch of Tom Petty.

It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Re: Kenny Vaughn (Marty Stuart band) rocks a Rick

Post by chrisdski »

I agree their new CD is terrific. Listen to it with headphones ;-) This is also a very good band to see live- I think I've seen them 2-3 times.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I watched this when I got up this morning, round about 4:30 AM. It, along with a cup of joe, rocked my world!

Thanks for posting it, beatbyrd!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

That appears to be a legit 60's 370/12 without a soundhole? :?:

Also has a Winfield tailpiece.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 2.16.19 PM.png
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

sloop_john_b wrote:That appears to be a legit 60's 370/12 without a soundhole? :?:

Wow, didn't notice that, musta been too early in the morning, at first I thought it was Ruby finish but it appears fireglo, although a different fireglo, somehow....
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

sloop_john_b wrote:That appears to be a legit 60's 370/12 without a soundhole? :?:

I wonder if it might be a loaner from the massive Petty / Campbell musical warehouse collection. Seriously, go check out "Way Out West" on Amazon. You can stream the whole album (if you have Prime). It sounds like Marty, Mike, and Kenny were listening to some early Chris Isaak / James Calvin Wilsey before production started. It's a nice variety of songs, with quite a few tasty instrumentals. A bit of surf, a bit of old school Bakersfield country, and a bit of psychedelia. Interesting combination.
IMG_1125.small.jpg

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

beatbyrd wrote:

I wonder if it might be a loaner from the massive Petty / Campbell musical warehouse collection. Seriously, go check out "Way Out West" on Amazon. You can stream the whole album (if you have Prime). It sounds like Marty, Mike, and Kenny were listening to some early Chris Isaak / James Calvin Wilsey before production started. It's a nice variety of songs, with quite a few tasty instrumentals. A bit of surf, a bit of old school Bakersfield country, and a bit of psychedelia. Interesting combination.
IMG_1125.small.jpg
That wouldn't be the solid body 360 that Tom Petty got Rick to make for him, is it? I think it is a solid body 360 he owns which must be like a really really heavy Les Paul! :x :x :x
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

squirebass wrote:
beatbyrd wrote:

IMG_1125.small.jpg
That wouldn't be the solid body 360 that Tom Petty got Rick to make for him, is it? I think it is a solid body 360 he owns which must be like a really really heavy Les Paul! :x :x :x
Glad to hear someone else mention this... but I don't think so... I think Tom's 360 Solid is on the cover of something and is OS/WB... maybe Full Moon Fever, or "Bunch of Videos and Other Stuff."
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

woodyng

Post by woodyng »

chrisdski wrote:https://youtu.be/W91zY3PuBQs[/youtube]
Fantastic performance!
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

An update, if anyone cares.... I saw Marty and the guys last week on their support tour for their recent album. The gig was in Hollywood. Since Mike Campbell produced the album (and appears on it), I figured I'd bring a 360 upper pick guard for Mike to sign (if he showed up). He showed up. I tried to approach him, but got a real stink eye and a scowl that said 'Don't even THINK about talking to me'. He didn't get up on stage to play, even though Marty gently invited him. After the show, I heard another guy compliment Mike on the production as he walked out of the theater. Mike didn't stop, look at, or acknowledge the fan in any way. Either Mike was having a bad night or he has hit diva status. Whaddeva.

I wanted to ask Kenny Vaughan about the Rick. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, but I did speak with the drummer, Harry. Harry didn't know a lot about the guitar, but he did mention that it was purchased by Kenny in Nashville, had no sound hole, was chambered (regular weight), and had a "60's neck" (whatever that means).

They did "Time Don't Wait" as part of the encore and the sonic combination of the Rick 12 with 'Clarence' was heaven. The crowd loved it. No recordings or pictures were allowed, so I can't really attach anything in this reply.

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
crstory

Post by crstory »

Happy to see y'all dig Marty Stuart and his fabulous superlatives. My wife and saw them last week at the Ryman Auditorium. They play effortless and sound so good. The RIC 370/12 was on stage. He had Tommy Emmanuel :shock: as one of his guest. Man, can that guy play!! Incredible pickin and a singin.
"A Promise never Broken is a strange thing, Indeed." Kevn Kinney
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

Here's a pic of Kenny's Ric
Attachments
IMG_0293.JPG
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Bump, in case it's relevant.

What are the odds? I stop here 2 or 3 times a year.

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Thanks for the bump, Tom, this is indeed still relevant, as the band recently appeared on The Kate on PBS. 8) :D
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”