The Misfits June 26th 1979 @ Hurrah

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

opticnerve
Advanced Member

The Misfits June 26th 1979 @ Hurrah

Post by opticnerve »

It was 40 years ago today...

It’s the first time I became aware of The Misfits. June 26, 1979 at the Manhattan club Hurrah, opening for The Damned.

I had no idea who they were. I went with my friend Tim & they blew us away!

Unfortunately, this lineup (my favorite) didn’t last much longer.

I did get to see them one more time before Joey Image left.

Btw, The Damned was incredible too!

What a great night!
Attachments
misfits Hurrah.jpg
25%.jpg
collin

Re: The Misfits June 26th 1979 @ Hurrah

Post by collin »

Man, envy isn't even the word for it. What a show!!

Classic lineup, maybe my second favorite only to the Robo/Doyle/Jerry/Glenn era ('83?), but all the best Misfits material was pre-1980 with Joey Image on drums. The "Horror Business" single is one one of my all-time favorite 45s.

EDIT: I just looked it up, the "Horror Business" 45 was released on the SAME DAY as the show you attended. Amazing!

Poster from the show:
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

Hey Col!

Yup! Had I only had a crystal ball, I probably could have walked out with a black Vinyl Horror Business 45!

Story goes that the pressing plant was having trouble with the yellow vinyl, so Glenn had them rush 25 black copies for the show.

https://www.popsike.com/THE-MISFITS-PLA ... 45132.html

WOW!! I just Googled Damned at Hurrah & found this pic of me in the audience! How cool is that!!!

I'm on the far left with the blue shirt.
Attachments
ME at Hurrah Damned Audience!.jpg
collin

Post by collin »

A. Holy cow, I had no idea hardcore singles were bringing that kind of money! Only those 25 copies exist? Would be amazing to own one, knowing they're only from the show you attended.

B. AMAZING that you found a photo of yourself at that show! Incredible, actually - considering there aren't any images of the band(s) in that shot (unless that's Dave Vanian in the middle?), it's impressive that a photo of the audience exists and you're right in front. Frame that photo, with the poster! :lol:
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

collin wrote:A. Holy cow, I had no idea hardcore singles were bringing that kind of money! Only those 25 copies exist? Would be amazing to own one, knowing they're only from the show you attended.

B. AMAZING that you found a photo of yourself at that show! Incredible, actually - considering there aren't any images of the band(s) in that shot (unless that's Dave Vanian in the middle?), it's impressive that a photo of the audience exists and you're right in front. Frame that photo, with the poster! :lol:
Oh yeah. Some of those old punk singles go for big bucks! There are a lot of rabid collectors out there.

Rollins bought two copies of the black HB from Danzig for 5K each.

Yes, that is Vanium in the pic. He went into the audience.

I went to a lot of shows back then & when I see pics of a show I know I went to, I always look to see if I'm in it.

This is the first time I spotted myself! Very cool!
collin

Post by collin »

opticnerve wrote:
collin wrote:A. Holy cow, I had no idea hardcore singles were bringing that kind of money! Only those 25 copies exist? Would be amazing to own one, knowing they're only from the show you attended.

Oh yeah. Some of those old punk singles go for big bucks! There are a lot of rabid collectors out there.

Rollins bought two copies of the black HB from Danzig for 5K each.
Awesome, Rollins is a total collector - a record hound (and a true "completist"). I guess it shouldn't be surprising, for a guy who has a large Misfits fiend skull tattooed on his arm! :lol:

Interesting about the market for early punk/hardcore singles. I guess there goes my hope of ever scoring a first pressing of the first Minor Threat EP... :cry:
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

Come on Collin! You can afford multiple 1993's but you can't afford a MT 45!? :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

opticnerve wrote:Come on Collin! You can afford multiple 1993's but you can't afford a MT 45!? :lol:
Spent all my dough on 1993s. :lol:

Really though, luckily I've never been bitten by the record collecting bug. That's an endless, expensive pursuit. I have no idea what an original Minor Thread EP goes for these days, but I'm guessing its a lot. Ian Mackaye probably thinks it's ridiculous. :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”