What about Peter Buck?

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Post by kennyhowes »

scott_s wrote:Maybe a "sticker kit" could be an option, so you could dress it up like whatever era you want.
Actually...am I crazy, or did he have a Van Halen sticker on there at some point?

My apologies if this has been discussed previously.
Len

Post by Len »

The last time I was close enough to see the 360 it had a Let's Active sticker on it.

You raise an interesting question though Kenny. R.E.M. had four members; singer, guitar player, bass player, drummer. Van Halen had four members; singer, guitar player, bass player, drummer. Pretty much identical. I've never seen them on the same bill. Coincidence? Maybe Van Halen is really R.E.M. dressed in KISS costumes.
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

Good point about Van Halen. Somebody needs to investigate this further...
That would be my Fender Electric XII on South Central Rain. And we might've used a Rockman on the 6-string, or maybe the 12, too. Yep, a Rockman. They don't get no respect, but they're pretty useful! If you have one in your closet, dig it out- loads of fun, partly due to the highly limited range of very distinctive sounds.
That's a cool picture of the guitars. I played that red one with the funny brass bridge- it was really good!
Sweden

Post by Sweden »

scott_s wrote: 1) Jumbo frets
The weird thing is that if you look at the pictures on page 4 of this thread, it looks like the backup replica he has of the old 360 has jumbo frets, whereas the original one doesn't. Could be the picture though, I guess, since it would seem strange to put different frets on the replica.
(On those pictures from the 2008 tour, the guitars from left to right are: original 360, backup replica 360, 620/12, backup 12 in the form of a 360/12, and 330 generally used for non-standard tunings. That tour was unusually low on non-Rick guitars.)

/David
--------------------------------------------------------------
2002 360/6 JG - 1989 370/12 MG

(plus some other 20 guitars and basses...)
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Sweden wrote:
scott_s wrote: 1) Jumbo frets
The weird thing is that if you look at the pictures on page 4 of this thread, it looks like the backup replica he has of the old 360 has jumbo frets, whereas the original one doesn't. Could be the picture though, I guess, since it would seem strange to put different frets on the replica.
(On those pictures from the 2008 tour, the guitars from left to right are: original 360, backup replica 360, 620/12, backup 12 in the form of a 360/12, and 330 generally used for non-standard tunings. That tour was unusually low on non-Rick guitars.)

/David
I looked again, and the replica has finish on the fretboard, so that may make the frets appear larger than they are. I've been fooled by pictures before, though, and I'm mainly going from a couple things I've read online about PB's main 360. Who knows, I'm sure that guitar has been through enough to render old info obsolete. :lol:

(I think some kind of in-between fret size like a 0.095"x0.045" wire could be an attractive feature. Wouldn't look or feel excessively huge in the end.)

- Scott
jwalsh

Post by jwalsh »

kennyhowes wrote:
scott_s wrote:Maybe a "sticker kit" could be an option, so you could dress it up like whatever era you want.
Actually...am I crazy, or did he have a Van Halen sticker on there at some point?

My apologies if this has been discussed previously.

Kenny, you are not crazy. :D Peter had the words "Van Halen" on his guitar during the Lifes Rich Pageant Tour in 1986. The Van Halen bit was a cut out of a magazine title that he taped on to his 360 during that era. Also, at the same time, there was a "skull and cross bones" type sticker where the mud flap girl is now.
Low End Lover

Post by Low End Lover »

I personally love the Star Wars cantina band member sticker in the soundhole! I find that greatly amusing for some reason. I mean, how cool is it to have pictures like that and a guy, Mitch Easter, commenting on the inside details of one of the most unique and interesting times in rock & roll history that he helped shape! :D
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Just saw that this thread has been quoted in the new book, Stars and Their Guitars.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

In addition to the 370/12 RM, Peter also played a jetglo 360/12. Check out the You Tube footage of R.E.M. live in Raleigh, NC in 1985--particularly the tracks "So. Central Rain," "Talk About the Passion," and "Good Advices," all three of which are played on his jetglo 360/12.

Robert
Sweden

Post by Sweden »

rkbsound wrote:Just saw that this thread has been quoted in the new book, Stars and Their Guitars.
What does it say?

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Sweden wrote:
rkbsound wrote:Just saw that this thread has been quoted in the new book, Stars and Their Guitars.
What does it say?
Curious about the book... must Amazon it!

So, does PLB actually use a bass-cap or some pedal/whatever? Must remember to ask him... doh!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Sweden

Post by Sweden »

Wildberry wrote: So, does PLB actually use a bass-cap or some pedal/whatever? Must remember to ask him... doh!
Not sure what you mean here, but Peter's main pedals are as far as I know still the rack-mounted vintage Ibanez multi-effect he's had since the early 80's, a RAT, a custom-made treble booster and a Vodoo Vibe. The Rehearshal Hall tour setup is still pretty relevant, I think: http://www.onlineathens.com/rockathens/ ... l/rem.html

Serial

Post by Serial »

Extremely cool thread. Buck is one of my all-time favorite players and between he and Mitch Easter, the reason I dug Rics in the first place. Seeing Mitch on this thread was very cool too, of course. Used to catch Lets Active when I lived in Winston in the 80s. I'll have to look back to confirm, but I swear that REM opened for them at Reynolds High School. Then again, that was a long time ago...
The Connells made great use of Rics back then too.
crstory

Post by crstory »

Someone posted a lot of old footage of R.E.M. on youtube back in the early to mid eighties and it shows Peter Buck using lots of different Rics. He sure knows how to get the maximum sound out of them. I think John Keane might still have a guitar store in one of those old buildings in downtown Athens. I went up there to drool over the many Rics he had in his store when I was a broke student at UGA back in 92. My first live concert was in Atlanta in on the Green Tour. Indigo Girls opened that night. Saw them again in Macon at the coliseum and Pylon opened for them. Pylon is one of my favorite bands. They have a tight sound that once you hear their riffs you cannot stop listening to it.
"A Promise never Broken is a strange thing, Indeed." Kevn Kinney
cestlamort

Post by cestlamort »

Sweden wrote:
Wildberry wrote: So, does PLB actually use a bass-cap or some pedal/whatever? Must remember to ask him... doh!
Not sure what you mean here, but Peter's main pedals are as far as I know still the rack-mounted vintage Ibanez multi-effect he's had since the early 80's, a RAT, a custom-made treble booster and a Vodoo Vibe. The Rehearshal Hall tour setup is still pretty relevant, I think: http://www.onlineathens.com/rockathens/ ... l/rem.html
thanks - that's a cool site. The Ibanez UE400 is great (I had a couple) and also used by the guys from the Church, too.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”