What about Peter Buck?

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (kennyhowes) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 pm

scott_s wrote:Maybe a "sticker kit" could be an option, so you could dress it up like whatever era you want.

Actually...am I crazy, or did he have a Van Halen sticker on there at some point?

My apologies if this has been discussed previously.
User avatar
(kennyhowes)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 4700
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:03 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (Len) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:37 pm

The last time I was close enough to see the 360 it had a Let's Active sticker on it.

You raise an interesting question though Kenny. R.E.M. had four members; singer, guitar player, bass player, drummer. Van Halen had four members; singer, guitar player, bass player, drummer. Pretty much identical. I've never seen them on the same bill. Coincidence? Maybe Van Halen is really R.E.M. dressed in KISS costumes.
User avatar
(Len)
Junior Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:08 am
Location: Northern Illinois

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (blue330) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 am

Good point about Van Halen. Somebody needs to investigate this further...
That would be my Fender Electric XII on South Central Rain. And we might've used a Rockman on the 6-string, or maybe the 12, too. Yep, a Rockman. They don't get no respect, but they're pretty useful! If you have one in your closet, dig it out- loads of fun, partly due to the highly limited range of very distinctive sounds.
That's a cool picture of the guitars. I played that red one with the funny brass bridge- it was really good!
User avatar
(blue330)
Professional Player
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:40 am
Location: Forsyth Co., NC, USA

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (Sweden) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:01 pm

scott_s wrote:1) Jumbo frets


The weird thing is that if you look at the pictures on page 4 of this thread, it looks like the backup replica he has of the old 360 has jumbo frets, whereas the original one doesn't. Could be the picture though, I guess, since it would seem strange to put different frets on the replica.
(On those pictures from the 2008 tour, the guitars from left to right are: original 360, backup replica 360, 620/12, backup 12 in the form of a 360/12, and 330 generally used for non-standard tunings. That tour was unusually low on non-Rick guitars.)

/David
--------------------------------------------------------------
2002 360/6 JG - 1989 370/12 MG

(plus some other 20 guitars and basses...)
User avatar
(Sweden)
Junior Member
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:06 am

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (scott_s) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Sweden wrote:
scott_s wrote:1) Jumbo frets


The weird thing is that if you look at the pictures on page 4 of this thread, it looks like the backup replica he has of the old 360 has jumbo frets, whereas the original one doesn't. Could be the picture though, I guess, since it would seem strange to put different frets on the replica.
(On those pictures from the 2008 tour, the guitars from left to right are: original 360, backup replica 360, 620/12, backup 12 in the form of a 360/12, and 330 generally used for non-standard tunings. That tour was unusually low on non-Rick guitars.)

/David


I looked again, and the replica has finish on the fretboard, so that may make the frets appear larger than they are. I've been fooled by pictures before, though, and I'm mainly going from a couple things I've read online about PB's main 360. Who knows, I'm sure that guitar has been through enough to render old info obsolete. :lol:

(I think some kind of in-between fret size like a 0.095"x0.045" wire could be an attractive feature. Wouldn't look or feel excessively huge in the end.)

- Scott
User avatar
(scott_s)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:59 pm
Location: CID

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (jwalsh) » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:45 pm

kennyhowes wrote:
scott_s wrote:Maybe a "sticker kit" could be an option, so you could dress it up like whatever era you want.

Actually...am I crazy, or did he have a Van Halen sticker on there at some point?

My apologies if this has been discussed previously.



Kenny, you are not crazy. :D Peter had the words "Van Halen" on his guitar during the Lifes Rich Pageant Tour in 1986. The Van Halen bit was a cut out of a magazine title that he taped on to his 360 during that era. Also, at the same time, there was a "skull and cross bones" type sticker where the mud flap girl is now.
(jwalsh)
New member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (Low End Lover) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 am

I personally love the Star Wars cantina band member sticker in the soundhole! I find that greatly amusing for some reason. I mean, how cool is it to have pictures like that and a guy, Mitch Easter, commenting on the inside details of one of the most unique and interesting times in rock & roll history that he helped shape! :D
User avatar
(Low End Lover)
Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (rkbsound) » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Just saw that this thread has been quoted in the new book, Stars and Their Guitars.
User avatar
(rkbsound)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:48 pm

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (Folkie) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:26 pm

In addition to the 370/12 RM, Peter also played a jetglo 360/12. Check out the You Tube footage of R.E.M. live in Raleigh, NC in 1985--particularly the tracks "So. Central Rain," "Talk About the Passion," and "Good Advices," all three of which are played on his jetglo 360/12.

Robert
(Folkie)
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (Sweden) » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:53 pm

rkbsound wrote:Just saw that this thread has been quoted in the new book, Stars and Their Guitars.


What does it say?
--------------------------------------------------------------
2002 360/6 JG - 1989 370/12 MG

(plus some other 20 guitars and basses...)
User avatar
(Sweden)
Junior Member
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:06 am

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (electrofaro) » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:11 am

Sweden wrote:
rkbsound wrote:Just saw that this thread has been quoted in the new book, Stars and Their Guitars.


What does it say?

Curious about the book... must Amazon it!

So, does PLB actually use a bass-cap or some pedal/whatever? Must remember to ask him... doh!
Rickie '98 360 MG "HB+" // Gibbie '09 LP Jr TB // Gibbie '14 ES-355 Bigsby HCS
User avatar
(electrofaro)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3571
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:25 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (Sweden) » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Wildberry wrote:So, does PLB actually use a bass-cap or some pedal/whatever? Must remember to ask him... doh!


Not sure what you mean here, but Peter's main pedals are as far as I know still the rack-mounted vintage Ibanez multi-effect he's had since the early 80's, a RAT, a custom-made treble booster and a Vodoo Vibe. The Rehearshal Hall tour setup is still pretty relevant, I think: http://www.onlineathens.com/rockathens/ ... l/rem.html
--------------------------------------------------------------
2002 360/6 JG - 1989 370/12 MG

(plus some other 20 guitars and basses...)
User avatar
(Sweden)
Junior Member
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:06 am

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (Serial) » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:47 am

Extremely cool thread. Buck is one of my all-time favorite players and between he and Mitch Easter, the reason I dug Rics in the first place. Seeing Mitch on this thread was very cool too, of course. Used to catch Lets Active when I lived in Winston in the 80s. I'll have to look back to confirm, but I swear that REM opened for them at Reynolds High School. Then again, that was a long time ago...
The Connells made great use of Rics back then too.
(Serial)
New member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (crstory) » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 am

Someone posted a lot of old footage of R.E.M. on youtube back in the early to mid eighties and it shows Peter Buck using lots of different Rics. He sure knows how to get the maximum sound out of them. I think John Keane might still have a guitar store in one of those old buildings in downtown Athens. I went up there to drool over the many Rics he had in his store when I was a broke student at UGA back in 92. My first live concert was in Atlanta in on the Green Tour. Indigo Girls opened that night. Saw them again in Macon at the coliseum and Pylon opened for them. Pylon is one of my favorite bands. They have a tight sound that once you hear their riffs you cannot stop listening to it.
"A Promise never Broken is a strange thing, Indeed." Kevn Kinney
(crstory)
Junior Member
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:13 am
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: What about Peter Buck?

Postby (cestlamort) » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:16 am

Sweden wrote:
Wildberry wrote:So, does PLB actually use a bass-cap or some pedal/whatever? Must remember to ask him... doh!


Not sure what you mean here, but Peter's main pedals are as far as I know still the rack-mounted vintage Ibanez multi-effect he's had since the early 80's, a RAT, a custom-made treble booster and a Vodoo Vibe. The Rehearshal Hall tour setup is still pretty relevant, I think: http://www.onlineathens.com/rockathens/ ... l/rem.html

thanks - that's a cool site. The Ibanez UE400 is great (I had a couple) and also used by the guys from the Church, too.
User avatar
(cestlamort)
Junior Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: Seattle

PreviousNext

Return to Rickenbacker Artists

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests