Rickenbacker 12 String and Eric Clapton

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Rickenbacker 12 String and Eric Clapton

Post by admin »

I read recently that Eric Clapton recorded with a Rickenbacker 12 string in 2015 at British Grove Studios. :shock: Has anyone any information about this? I have never seen him playing one or a photo of him with one. Surely he would have had easy access to one through George Harrison over the years. What do you think?

This video of the making of the "I Still Do" CD (2016) is a must watch. The best journey you can have while trying to find a Rickenbacker. Clapton still rules on this recording!

Please comment on this CD. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rickenbacker 12 String and Eric Clapton

Post by admin »

After combing the internet for Clapton and his gear I can find no evidence that he played a Rickenbacker on any recordings. There is quite a detailed review of Clapton's gear here which is interesting in and of itself.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

With all the music, live shows and recordings he has done, it's hard to believe that Clapton never used a Rickenbacker in all those years, but I have never seen a photo of him playing one.
I know he is not known for playing 12 string type material, but you think just by accident he would have used one (or a 6 string Ric) just some how, some where!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pauleway wrote:With all the music, live shows and recordings he has done, it's hard to believe that Clapton never used a Rickenbacker in all those years, but I have never seen a photo of him playing one.
I know he is not known for playing 12 string type material, but you think just by accident he would have used one (or a 6 string Ric) just some how, some where!
Paul, I share this reasoning. You comments are appreciated but I suspect we are going to dig very deep into Clapton's history before we can add Rickenbacker to his guitar stable.

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The confusion lay in that EC is known for owning acoustic 12-string guitars, most notably a Zematis, and later a Takamine, and probably others. And yes, as much as EC and GH interacted, it would be plausible if EC picked up GH's 12-string at least once, if only out of curiosity to see what it was all about. But yes, finding an example where EC actually played, if nothing more than a few chords or an informal jam, much less recorded, any electric 12-string may be quite the quest.
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

iiipopes wrote: Yes, finding an example where EC actually played, if nothing more than a few chords or an informal jam, much less recorded, any electric 12-string may be quite the quest.

I saw a documentary where they discussed the making of Disreali Gears album, and Clapton played a Fender electric 12 string demonstrating one of the songs on the album.
Last edited by pauleway on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

I do believe the songs was "Dance the Night Away", can't remember what documentary it was.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pauleway wrote:I do believe the songs was "Dance the Night Away", can't remember what documentary it was.
Paul that is the song he played 12 string in. It is electric (at least to my ears) but I don't feel confident that it is the Rickenbacker tone. Very Byrd-like in places though.

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

admin wrote:
pauleway wrote:I do believe the songs was "Dance the Night Away", can't remember what documentary it was.
Paul that is the song he played 12 string in. It is electric (at least to my ears) but I don't feel confident that it is the Rickenbacker tone. Very Byrd-like in places though.
Twenty years ago I had a discussion with a friend of mine about the difference between "chime" and "jangle." I used the example of Led Zeppin and Stairway being an example of chime, but not of jangle as we aficionados define it. At the time, I actually had a Fender XII, so I could demonstrate the difference to him between the Fender and the Rick. The differences are subtle, yes, but there. I agree with the above posts. Oh, BTW: I got an offer I couldn't refuse for the Fender XII and sold it, as I did not care for the wide string spacing at the bridge and the 25 1/2 inch scale.
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

admin wrote:

As I mentioned in my other post, in the documentary about "Disreali Gears", they were discussing the song "Dance the Night Away" and Clapton was playing a Fender XII electric, showing how he played the song (same time period as the album). I didn't mean to infer it was a Rickenbacker.
It was a while ago, and I can't remember what Docu. it was.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pauleway wrote:
admin wrote:

As I mentioned in my other post, in the documentary about "Disreali Gears", they were discussing the song "Dance the Night Away" and Clapton was playing a Fender XII electric, showing how he played the song (same time period as the album). I didn't mean to infer it was a Rickenbacker.
It was a while ago, and I can't remember what Docu. it was.
Paul, it was not my understanding that you thought it was a Rickenbacker at all. :) Just my wandering thoughts on what the recording sounded like to me. :lol: I could have been clearer in my post.

tmossman

Post by tmossman »

From a Julien's auction listing:
A Rickenbacker 360 12-string Fireglo used in the studio by the Edge, Eric Clapton, and Morrissey. The electric guitar was part of a studio equipment hire for a U2 recording session that was ordered by Sam O’Sullivan (U2 studio manager, drum tech) on November 28, 2001, from Harris Hire in Beckenham, England. It was delivered just before the band’s return from its 2001 Elevation World Tour, which ended on December 2, 2001. The guitar was also rented by Clapton for a 2015 recording session at British Grove Studios in London and to Morrissey in 2006. Morrissey used the guitar in the studio to record the Ringleaders of the Tormentors album in Rome. Accompanied by the rental paperwork for each musician, a letter of authenticity from Phil Harris, and the original case from Harris Hire.
The listing with pics
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Todd. Perhaps this is true after all!

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

tmossman wrote:From a Julien's auction listing:
A Rickenbacker 360 12-string Fireglo used in the studio by the Edge, Eric Clapton, and Morrissey. The electric guitar was part of a studio equipment hire for a U2 recording session that was ordered by Sam O’Sullivan (U2 studio manager, drum tech) on November 28, 2001, from Harris Hire in Beckenham, England. It was delivered just before the band’s return from its 2001 Elevation World Tour, which ended on December 2, 2001. The guitar was also rented by Clapton for a 2015 recording session at British Grove Studios in London and to Morrissey in 2006. Morrissey used the guitar in the studio to record the Ringleaders of the Tormentors album in Rome. Accompanied by the rental paperwork for each musician, a letter of authenticity from Phil Harris, and the original case from Harris Hire.
The listing with pics
Excellent work! Thanks.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”