4001 electronics - n00b questions.

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Denge

4001 electronics - n00b questions.

Post by Denge »

I decided to start playing around with using a LS-2 for combining the rick-o-sound signals.
But I'm pretty convinced that a previous owner has been having a go with the electronics.

The treble pickup works just fine in both switch down and center position. I do get a hair of the neck pickup in center but as soon as I switch over to just hear the neck pickup my bass goes dead.
Which I guess is not how it's supposed to work?

I'm a bit hesitant to just rip of the strings and start checking the electronics since I'm not really sure how the neck will behave. But I'm guessing it will be necessary.

/D
'77 Cream 4001
ESP 400 modded Jazz
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 4001 electronics - n00b questions.

Post by jps »

Denge wrote:The treble pickup works just fine in both switch down and center position. I do get a hair of the neck pickup in center but as soon as I switch over to just hear the neck pickup my bass goes dead.
Does this occur while using the mono (standard) output jack? If so, it could just be dirty/oxidized contacts on the selector switch, and easy fix.
Denge

Post by Denge »

jps wrote:
Denge wrote:The treble pickup works just fine in both switch down and center position. I do get a hair of the neck pickup in center but as soon as I switch over to just hear the neck pickup my bass goes dead.
Does this occur while using the mono (standard) output jack? If so, it could just be dirty/oxidized contacts on the selector switch, and easy fix.
No when I use the mono jack everything works just fine. Sorry for the confused question btw. Was doing five things at the same time when I wrote it.

/D
'77 Cream 4001
ESP 400 modded Jazz
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Okay, so you are using the ROS jack. Are you using a TRS stereo cable with the ROS jack? What you are describing sounds like you are using a regular mono TS instrument cable into the ROS jack which would produce the exact results you are getting. To use the ROS output you have to use a 3 conductor/stereo/balanced microphone type of cable (with 1/4" TRS plugs, not XLR connectors) to allow for the bridge pickup to run through the tip of the plug with the neck pickup going to the ring of the TRS connector. There are some purpose built cables with a TRS plug on one end and the other end splits to two separate TS plugs, one for each of the two hot conductors (tip and ring). You can also find adapter cables to split off the two signals from a TRS plug to individual TS plugs; make sure you get the proper type, as there are similar looking adapters who's purpose is to just provide two mono signals, plus there are insert adapters that are intended for use in Insert jacks as found on many mixing consoles, those look very similar, too.
Denge

Post by Denge »

I use an adapter that was supposed to be TRS to 2 TS. But as per usual I was way to stressed to properly check so I might have got the wrong one. :shock:
'77 Cream 4001
ESP 400 modded Jazz

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”