12 String Headstocks

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Jon_Perry

12 String Headstocks

Post by Jon_Perry »

I am considering the purchase of a new 330/12 yet have some concerns about the structural integrity of the headstock. My concern is that 12 strings worth of tension and a larger rout for dual truss rods may make the critical area around the nut rather fragile. Does the laminated neck design increase its strength? I used to have a 1967 325 with a headstock repair that always made me paranoid. Are my fears (hopefully) unfounded? Your time and comments are greatly appreciated.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have been in the guitar business since July of 1972.I have to thank Ward Deaton for hiring me and Bill Meyers for not firing me.
Since the time that I left the Rickenbacker plant in Oct of 1976,I have only had to repair 3 headstocks on their instruments.None were 12 strings.All were damaged "on purpose"in the act of a band,except one and that was a car accident .It did not sever the headstock but rather split the seam open.
This is not to say that it doesn't happen ...but I will say this (and I have been the Gibson Warranty station in western Washington USA since 1982).I fix broken Gibson headstocks on a regular basis and repair headstocks that were improperly fixed more often than first timers.Gibson is not at fault in this issue.They have tried several things to 'fix' the problem,but the 2 guitars that get the most abuse are 2 of there most popular.The SG and The Les Paul.
These break for many reasons and the biggest is the endgrain runout that is part of the design.
They have changed this feature and the guitar public had fits .So back to the original design it went.All for tone.

As to the 12 string headstock...I have even bored all the way through for many players so it would be easier to change strings.I have played around with the headstock dimensions to make it easier to use a peg winder on the Kluson tuners.I even changed some of the dimensions to make the strings not rub on the nameplate.But when you get right down to it ...even with the small quirks that it has ...I really think that whoever came up with this lay out had a terrific idea.

Is it fragile...no
do the lamination increase the strength...yes,any physics professor will agree.
The headstock repair was a problem due to the fact that there is NO "Bar" exam to take to fix or build guitars.If there was a license to obtain then it would remove many of those fears.
Just having a Luthier's club certificate in a frame does not make you a good repairman or builder.
As to the guitar you are looking at ...understand that changing strings is not as easy as a Telecaster nor as fast .And that there are several little tricks to this process.The truss rod adjusting and the stringing are the 2 main issues for players to sell these guitars.
the rest of the instrument is purely personal preference.
I like the width of the fretboard/playing surface of the 330-12 over the 360-12.BUT!,I like the look of the 360-12 over the 330-12.
On the other hand ...I would like to have a 360-12old style ,with vintage tailpiece with 12 string holes,a 12 saddle bridge,22 frets,
1 & 11/16" nut width,the strings spaced at 2.075 on center of the courses at the bridge.
Well I can dream or I can just make my own .I do wish this were an option but they seem to be selling without it so................

anyway get the 330-12 and play it to death.Have fun
Jon_Perry

Post by Jon_Perry »

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. This is a great service you provide for Ric enthusiasts. I will purchase the guitar and not make the mistake of letting it go like I did the 325. Thanks again Mark!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”