Equipped my 370WB with a Piezo...you should too.

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rickendelic

Re: Equipped my 370WB with a Piezo...you should too.

Post by rickendelic »

A few days short of 2 years but I finally got around to trying this out today, and I'm genuinely surprised at how good it sounds with a bit of EQ and reverb.

I have a 360/12 and basically left the ric-o-sound Jack hooked up in the cavity, wired the piezo directly to a new Jack which I placed where the ric-o- sound was. What I decided to do was run the piezo Jack to the 2nd channel of my twin reverb, and the hi-gains to my pedal board where I can use the mute in my tuner as a sort of "A/Y" pedal (for lack of a better description), and then to the first channel.

I put two layers of tape around the entire element and cut around the edges, and I put the element closer to the bass side under the bridge plate. Like Dom had written I think the only thing i'm gonna do in the future is I'll pick up some low profile pots for Volume/Tone. (Does anyone have an opinion whether I should use 250 or 500's?)

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied,.... For now :wink:
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

temptingtemptingtempting
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Hmmm... I stumbled across this thread today, and I'm thinking the 366/12v64 may need that treatment. I mean, when am I ever going to need dual mono???
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

yes, please, lets see/hear this baby, sounds so interesting
clsatt

Post by clsatt »

you could do this with only the red wire from the piezo if you don't use the tape and place it with the bigger disc up. it might be easier to fit the new wire down the hole for the ground and should give a nice clean look in the end.
bluegrassmoker

Post by bluegrassmoker »

Wow i have been using these buzzers on my acoustic electric drums and have found they are too sensitive i was surprised at the quality of response to using these buzzers i will definitely think about putting them in my instruments i love the natural sound much better than straight electric.
http://www.sundlofengineering.com

Modifications, Restorations, Innovations and one of a kind creations...

http://www.myspace.com/patrickgrigsbysundlof
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

is it possible to fit a piezo that's just going to pick up the lower three strings?

I'd like to isolate my bass notes. contemplated fitting a piezo tune-o-matic but would be nice to use the Ric bridge if i can.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I put a piezo bar in my 370/12, machining a slot in the bridge plate to clear it, minus about .010" for pressure pre-load. Also picked up a Fishman Aural pedal with a bunch of preloaded acoustic EQs. Sounds great through my Dual Showman, provided I keep the treble turned way down...

Using a piezo braid, you should be able to place just half the braid under your bass or treble strings, drilling a hole to pass the braid through between the G and D strings and routing the braid under whichever strings you want to hear.
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

yes, that's clever, and the hole would be under the bridge plate so invisible
rickendelic

Post by rickendelic »

I got to the point where I wanted more from the sound and actually contemplated getting an aura like Paul said he did. I ended up pulling it when I changed the higains out for a pair of 60's toasters I sourced. I've since picked up an AC-3 it's alright and works mostly well in live situations. Eventually I will probably replace it in my 360 though, either after I commit to a system like the aura and a proper element, or get tired of waiting cuz I did like some of the sounds I was able to get with it.

With the 360 I had the extra Jack to just unscrew and put the Jack connected to the buzzer in it's place, it was direct buzzer to the jack, to the input on the amp.
Dom

Post by Dom »

If you want to hear it I have a link to my myspace page on the post I made in the recording section. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=404826

...and if yer lazy http://www.myspace.com/dominicpiscopo

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”