Tune-o-matic bridge on a Rickenbacker

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Tune-o-matic bridge on a Rickenbacker

Post by sloop_john_b »

paologregorio wrote:I'm definitely interested; I've never considered modding my Rick bridges before, but JB's comments about increased sustain make sense, I've had a similar experience when switching from a Melitta to a Space Controller bridge on my Duo Jet. Also I had to use Loctite on my Rick bridge screws to get them to stay in place; I think it's because I use the Accent quite a bit, and I also like to employ controlled feedback for effect quite often. I think the vibration from the feedback shakes the screws loose, as does the rocking back and forth of the strings on the bridge saddles when I use the Accent. There have been a couple of times when I looked down in shock at the bridge of one of my Ricks to see the brdge saddle moving back and forth as I used my Accent vibrato-nuts!! :shock:
Paul, considering how much you gig with your Ricks, how hard you play them, and how much you use the whammy bar, I think you would love this mod. It really has no averse effect on the Rick sound - my guitar still jangles as much as it did before. But it also stays in tune better, sustains more, and doesn't rattle.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

kingblud wrote:If one of these was for sale, I would definatly be interested. The Ric bridge occassionaly drives me nuts :)
Shoot a message to either Fabgear or Collin - I'm sure they would love to make you one. I think you'll love it.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Jeff's baseplate arrived just now. Installation commencing after thumbing through new copy of VG, which also arrived just now.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Wow! The added mass from Jeff's baseplate has taken the tone of the guitar up yet another notch! I noticed a difference immediately while tuning up. The notes have a bit more definition then they did before (especially apparent in the ring of the open strings) and it also sounds to me like the guitar is louder, acoustically.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks for the update John. It sounds promising. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

sloop_john_b wrote: ... While I'm still not quite sure why the guitar lacks the sustain of say, an ES-335 (might be the pickups at this point), it is inching ever closer to that creamy tone...
Put a stop bar on it and you will probably be there.
"The best things in life aren't things."
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

But then it wouldn't be a reversible mod Ken and we all know how John get's attracted to other Rickenbacker's that capture his fancy. :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Danhalen

Post by Danhalen »

I just stumbled on this thread now. Very cool idea and mod. I am curious to try this out on a 12 string...
I had an idea for a machined aluminum TOM-reminiscent bridge assembly but I don't have a way of getting one made.
I noticed that Pigtail (no affiliation) makes an ABR-1 out of aluminum. It is $200 though... Having said that I have one of their aluminum wraparound tailpieces and it is a quality piece of gear. Really made my SG Jr sound great!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Coincidentally, the guitar I modded can be found here. :)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I've been thinking about this - got a brand new Gibson bridge lying here... my biggest question:

does one need to drill extra holes in the Rick to anchor the bridge?
Or can it be done by simply reworking a baseplate to accomodate the different bridge?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

No extra holes, just rework the baseplate. Collin or Jeff can help you out on this one.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Thanks John, would be very cool to try out!

I'll hunt for a spare base plate on the 'Bay. On a somewhat unrelated topic, I was shocked at how many body & neck offers there are on eBay at the moment; all from a seller that claims everything to be 100% Gibson :roll:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
gibsg08

Post by gibsg08 »

Hi, currently i am in the same boat, i loved my sg so much because of the tuneomatic bridge, that i bought a fender jag with the same thing, now i have a ric 360 that i really dont enjoy playing that much because of the lack of tuneomatic bridge, do any of you have any suggestions for me, i would love to put one on, im not really sound on customizing guitars, but if i can just put one on that would be awesome
thanks
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ian,

I suggest you read this thread from the beginning...it's all here, including sources. I do question, however, what exactly you don't like about the original Rick bridge.

Werner, I just noticed your old post...I'm sure you're referring to the Ebayer who calls himself "gibsonpartsdependable".

He's still around, and after dealing with him on a Rick wiring harness, I have to say, "never again".

The guy is a pathological liar, not to mention undependable, unlike what he'd like us to believe.

Creepy, in a word...
ledbye

Post by ledbye »

I know this is an old thread, but I had to post my mod! I was having strings break right, left and centre on my 360...it was getting me down! I had the bridge replaced with new a Ric bridge and it was all good for 6 months, then the strings started breaking again. I dunno what it is, but put it down to maybe being to aggressive...but changing your style of playing is hard, right?! Anyway, I had seen the 'ric-o-matic on here and decided to have the same done to my 360.

It's like night and day!! I've been playing a fair bit recently and flogging the absolute **** out of it and playing harder than I ever have! It stays in tune, feels a billion times more solid and I haven't broken a string once! Honestly, if you have a Ric, make this completely reversible mod because there is no looking back!

Check out the grainy iPhone pics below!!

The mod was done my Matt Bach at Bach Guitar Services in Brisbane, Australia. If you live over here, or are ever playing in Brisbane, get Matt to tend to your guitars cause he does a brilliant job!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”