Annoying buzz on D and A strings

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Annoying buzz on D and A strings

Post by johnallg »

Have you checked the frets to make sure there are no high spots? For sure the neck is flat over the whole length and it is not doing an "S" down the length? Just throwing out ideas....
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

John, although I checked, I'll have a colleague of mine whose roady for a dutch band look at it. He might find something I just did not see.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I took the guitar to Dirk Witte in Utrecht - they have more experience and did a great job setting up the 340. Still, first verdict upon arrival there was that the neck is perfectly straight... they'll put TI .010 brightwires on it, we'll see what they can do to her!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Werner I am glad you took it in. It is easy to lose the forest for the trees sometimes. The straight neck is a good start.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Well, collected the 360 JG from Dirk Witte this afternoon... set-up is great, she plays well... acoustically there's still the buzzing on bass side. I connected her to my notebook's mic-in port through an Vox AC30 Amplug; buzz sound is like 99% gone if I listen to the play back. I'll just have to get used to the acoustic buzz sounds. Still weird I never had them until recently!
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

At Dirk Witte Utrecht they have a 330 MG (1699 EUR) and a 360 FG (behind a window), and I forgot to check the s/ns of both :mrgreen:
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I tried out several clean amp, and buzz is still there on clean amp string picking... strumming it's not really noticeable. Still, the 360 JG is for sale for what it's worth... I'm had enough of that buzz! For a 1000 EUR (plus p&p) someone can have her! I'm playing the 340 FG now - that center PU is not that bad at all once you get used to it being in the way :|
stsang

Post by stsang »

Wildberry wrote:I tried out several clean amp, and buzz is still there on clean amp string picking... strumming it's not really noticeable. Still, the 360 JG is for sale for what it's worth... I'm had enough of that buzz! For a 1000 EUR (plus p&p) someone can have her! I'm playing the 340 FG now - that center PU is not that bad at all once you get used to it being in the way :|
Wow - Werner, sorry to hear you are that unhappy with your 360 JG! :shock: One more thing before it goes out the door... did you check the nut? Are the strings sitting properly on the nut; or did the nut get filed down at some point during the guitar's life so some of the strings are sitting too close to the fretboard?
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

stsang wrote:Wow - Werner, sorry to hear you are that unhappy with your 360 JG! :shock: One more thing before it goes out the door... did you check the nut? Are the strings sitting properly on the nut; or did the nut get filed down at some point during the guitar's life so some of the strings are sitting too close to the fretboard?
Hi Simon, this is one of those cases where the guitar itself is pretty good and decent - the problem got caught between my ears. I just can't stand the extra noises anymore.

Raising the strings would work, but to a height I don't find that comfy to play. The nut is okay, nothing was changed on it. I'll revert back to .011s to see if that has any effect. My 340 actually has the exact same set-up and it plays fine without any side effect chimes, rattles or whatever... I know semi-hollows can make extra noises, but it has to be within reason.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Werner, serious matters aside, I think that customer service representatives worldwide probably have the same philosophy that you have expressed here.
I know semi-hollows can make extra noises, but it has to be within reason.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps it is the early hour for me, or the situations I am addressing these days but I find this hilarious. Forgive me.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Just installed "Gibson" .011 strings on the 360 JG. There's now just one string buzzing on 3rd fret and only if I hit it quite hard. If I raise the strings a tiny bit that might be gone as well. I guess the 340 might become wall decoration again!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are getting closer. Does the set have a wound G?

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Peter, the g-string is plain, unwound. A-string, 3rd fret buzzes a little, I'll stick to 011s for the 360.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Werner, you have added tension and your problem has improved. This fix may be sufficient but I now suspect that a truss rod adjustment, slightly looser will be of benefit.

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Peter, I had one of the guitar techs at work take a look at it, and his fine adjustments got it out... plays great again! 8)

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”