...yet another truss rod question...

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

beatlefan

...yet another truss rod question...

Post by beatlefan »

Ok, I've done numerous searches on here addressing this particular problem and haven't seen anything that helps, so here goes....

I have a 4001v63 "project" that I bought several weeks ago. I scavenged all the parts that I needed to put it back together and all is well .... with the exception of having the new truss rod ends sticking up too much. I can't put the trc on because of it. I was able to bend the ends slightly back with the Xcelite truss rod tool and it helped some, but not enough.... I pulled the rods and bent the ends even further but now I can't get the tool back over the nuts ... getting a bit frustrated with this is an understatement. Any valid suggestions on how to rectify this situation ? ... getting near my wits end!!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: ...yet another truss rod question...

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yeah, grind a taper on each truss rod nut so it has a conical end. Leave about 1/8" of the hex on the business end of the nuts where they bear upon the plate, and screw 'em on. They should clear the TRC with a little adjustment of the various factors...
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

Thank you , kind sir!

I had fleeting thoughts on various "adjustments" to make, but not that one .... :mrgreen:

*heading to the garage*
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's the easiest to do in cases like this. Either the rod is a bit long or the headstock pocket not deep enough. This works well and is as strong as stock for our purposes.
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

....ok.....despite my best efforts to follow the above plan, I'm still having an issue with clearance.

I've gone through 2 new sets of truss rods(3 total,including the originals) ... I've never had this severe of a problem before. Even with the nuts cut down as instructed, they STILL won't clear the cover! I'm guessing this may perhaps be a structural issue? This is a '97 model....the neck can be adjusted to straight but then the rods poke up and out. I've tried bending them, cutting them down, and trimming the nuts(no puns please) to no avail.....I've got a perfectly good bass, sans this issue .... I could gouge out the trc but I think you'd be able to see through it....

Paul, Dale .... Mom? Anybody have any more good advice ?

I'm this close to El Kabong..... :mrgreen:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The tapering didn't work? Are you sure the ends aren't bent upward? Just plain weird and totally out of spec.

Gotta pic?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Chris, what is the neck like with all the truss rods slacked off? Is there a severe up or back bow? That is the only thing I can think that would cause the rods to bend up under tension of being tight.
demon666

Post by demon666 »

Are the rods hitting the TRC or the nuts? Maybe cut back the threads on the rods or shorten the rods from the other end. Pics would help.
'84 4003 (restoration in progress)
'09 4003 Jetglo
'89 4003s Arcticglo
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

Here are some links to the pics I took today....

The neck does have a bit of a bow in it with the rods loosened....trc fits perfectly at that point.

When I tension the rods to where the neck is perfectly straight, the rod ends look like in these pictures.

The bass plays great and in tune , just without the trc installed :? The bass came with a broken rod and I
immediately purchased a new set from Chris Clayton.

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hard to tell, even from photos, but if that's a fretboard separation crack, there's part of the problem.

Also, I can't see any aluminum spacer.

Offhand I'd say that a rework to the pocket and perhaps a new spacer will take care of it. Those rods are far too close to the surface...
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

...there is a spacer in there, pushed down pretty far :|

I noted the fretboard crack before buying...previous owner said it was professionally restored a few years ago. Before installing new rods, I took note of the crack and watched it as I tightend the rods... there was no apparent increase. :|
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Chris, the rods are put in with a curve in them. I'm guessing they have flipped over. You might pull one and see.
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

Ok....problem "solved" *cough cough*

I didn't want to dig into the wood on this one, so my brother Mike and I came up with this solution....I know some of y'all may not like it, but it was the simple, cheap way to make this bass playable and look pretty good at the same time. A blank piece of black plexiglass, cut to standard trc size, then a "hole" cut out where the offending rod ends protrude, put the trc over it, screw it in and voila!!

Only we ricophiles would notice this, dontcha think? :mrgreen:

Finished bass:

1973 4001 MG cb fwi
1986 4003 Shadow
2012 4004Cii FG w/gold trim
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

The above bass came to me as a "carcass" .... '97 4001v63 JG , all new hardware and guts from POR , black/silver trc came from Ebay. The neck had a small crack at the nut but was professionally repaired. Action is low and comfy to play .... and bass looks pretty cool with all black and chrome, whatcha think? Me likey!
1973 4001 MG cb fwi
1986 4003 Shadow
2012 4004Cii FG w/gold trim
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

beatlefan wrote: Image
JetGlo is not my thing – the ordinary one with white trim.
But this one, with no binding, black TRC and pickguard, and chrome hardware, looks very nice. :D

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”