Dark patches on my Mapleglo

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Dark patches on my Mapleglo

Post by cjj »

godber wrote:
cassius987 wrote:...where are the patches?
The 5 O'clock shadow.
:roll: :lol: :lol:

Looks more like 7 O'clock to me though...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

cjj wrote:
godber wrote:
The 5 O'clock shadow.
:roll: :lol: :lol:

Looks more like 7 O'clock to me though...
True!
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Maybe sweat from your arm or something transferring from a long sleeve shirt? I wear a band on my arm where it touches the guitar.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

david/wales/u.k wrote:I've only had my Ric 330 MG for 6 months and yet dark patches have appeared on it. I've kept it in its case in the lounge and only ever used the Ric yellow cloth. I have occasionally used the Brillianize spray. I don't understand it. I haven't had new clothes so nothing could have rubbed off on it. I've looked after the guitar immaculately. It seems to be where my arm rests on the upper part of the head and where it rests against my chest...Does anyone have any idea what this is? Can it spread? Will it affect the tone of the guitar with the wood discoloring? Is this covered under the warranty?.......It's kind of deflating..I've spent a lot of money and love the guitar and looked after it...I'm baffled..................I've tried to post some pics but can't seem to do it correctly..........(The dark patches look dirty, almost like mould on bread)
This is mold/mildew, no question in my mind. Does the interior of the case give any indication (odor) of mold of any kind? Did that part of the guitar get some moisture on it and then get put back in the case for a while? This is not an uncommon phenomenon and if you do a Google search of "guitar mildew" you will find a ton of hits about the problem, as well as a bunch of easy solutions you ought to try. We had a few guitars come back a couple of years ago with mold, and we used a dollop of Menzerna brand intensive polishing compound, some cheesecloth, and some elbow grease and it came right out. However, there are a variety of ways to attack the problem without using a specialized polishing compound as you will find, I would just go down the list. Remember, the finish topcoat is now extremely hard polyester, so do not be too afraid to get aggressive when you wipe it down with water, soap, or white vinegar, etc. to remove the mold.

Brillianize is what we have been using as a final polishing liquid for the past two years now, and it works great for cleaning glossy surfaces and makes the UV topcoat really shine. I even use it to clean my smartphone and computer and TV monitors. But, it is not a cutting agent by any stretch and it will not remove mold.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

godber wrote:
Serious? Bottom left front is the one on the photos provided. The 5 O'clock shadow.
I guess I see what you mean--just looks like bad lighting on my computer screen. It does seem similar to when my MG had green mold on it that needed to be buffed off.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

RIC_FACTORY wrote:
Brillianize is what we have been using as a final polishing liquid for the past two years now, and it works great for cleaning glossy surfaces and makes the UV topcoat really shine. I even use it to clean my smartphone and computer and TV monitors. But, it is not a cutting agent by any stretch and it will not remove mold.
Interesting, Ben, as Brillianize is a silicone in water emulsion. Advice in the Owner's Manual to avoid silicones is in conflict with this new information.

I'm sure you've got more information on this than I do, so please clarify?
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

Interesting, Ben, as Brillianize is a silicone in water emulsion. Advice in the Owner's Manual to avoid silicones is in conflict with this new information.

I'm sure you've got more information on this than I do, so please clarify?
I could have sworn I mentioned this to you at one of the NAMM Shows or confluences.

I chose Brillianize for the final step of the polishing process on the advice of Tom Anderson (one of the pioneers of UV guitar finishing incidentally) as he uses essentially the same finish. Of course, Brillianize is 99.1% water and the remaining composition is methylparaben and what is only listed as "proprietary ingredients" according to the MSDS. I have not been able to verify whether this is silicone or not, but even if it is, it is an absolutely miniscule amount and it really doesn't matter any more with the UV cured polyester. That being said, I have tried it on the old conversion varnish topcoat and it worked pretty well on that even.

The manual was written well before we changed the finish, so yes, there is a conflict there. We haven't used carnauba wax (aka Turtle) for two years.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks, Ben--

If you read down the MSDS, you will see that one of the toxic byproducts released upon combustion (how do you burn water?) is silicone dioxide, though less than 1%.
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

I found a link that mentions the small silicone content. Since the finish is fully cured and hardened prior to buffing, it has no adverse effect. I would be concerned if there was silicone in anything related to the spraying and finish sanding processes.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yep, and as long as there's no fisheyes in evidence, there's no cross-contamination from final assembly area into spray area...
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

Thanks all for the help guys with the pics and advice......I'll do what you said Ben and google 'Mildew on guitar' ( that's what I think it it is, can't see or smell any evidence in the case though ) and I'll have a go at getting it out....I'm a bit afraid though...I don't wanna make it worse :?
Once I choose what to use perhaps i'll run it by you first, just to be safe.
Last edited by david/wales/u.k on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david/wales/u.k

Would Menzerna Intensive polish (PO85RD 3.02) be okay.........I'm hoping you can help me with this Ben as you said that you used it a while back...Thanks
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

david/wales/u.k wrote:Would Menzerna Intensive polish (PO85RD 3.02) be okay.........I'm hoping you can help me with this Ben as you said that you used it a while back...Thanks
I don't see the product # any where on our bottle, but the label says menzerna (red lower-case) INTENSIVE POLISH (caps) right below that. The label is orange. We use cheesecloth to wipe with, but you can get away with a cotton cloth. It won't get any worse by doing this, go pretty hard and see if it wipes off. Follow up with Brillianize to clean and shine. This polish is pretty good for removing scratches too.
david/wales/u.k

Thanks...I will do this and let you know.. will order some online asap
david/wales/u.k

Tried to get it off with white vinegar...tried for an hour with no luck. My wife is convinced that it is in the wood...I don't know enough to say one way or another. Have already ordered and will try Menzerna next. :(

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”