G string out of tune

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jrepresa

G string out of tune

Post by jrepresa »

Hi all! Does anybody has the same problem? The G string in my 330 goes out of tune almost all of the time, mainly after bendings. It happens also in the D but it is not so remarcable as is in the G.
admin
Site Admin

Re: G string out of tune

Post by admin »

When it goes out of tune is the G string sharp or flat?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

idea: move the forum technical support sections to the bottom of the page?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Or, re-title it to make it's purpose clearer.
jrepresa

Post by jrepresa »

Thanks for your help! The string goes flat, sometimes even a half tone! On the other hand, I apologize if my question is not in the proper forum but admit that its title is a bit confusing! Kind regards.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jrepresa wrote:Thanks for your help! The string goes flat, sometimes even a half tone!
Check to make sure the string is wound onto the tuning post properly, perhaps it (they) are slipping when you release the string after a bend.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Check the intonation on your guitar............it is likely the root cause of the problem.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

STRING STRETCH -- I will bet a dollar to a donut you're using a plain G string. It will always stretch completely out of tune. I haven't used a plain G string on any guitar (only as the octave on my 12-string), electric or acoustic, since about 1978 for this reason. Change out the 17 plain string to an 18, 19, or 20 wound to match the D-A-low E strings, if you have a guitar with adjustible pole pieces, raise the G string pole piece a 1/4 to 1/2 turn, lubricate the nut and saddle grooves with a couple of swipes of a graphite pencil to make sure the string glides freely across both the nut and saddle (after making sure the string isn't pinched by too narrow a groove), and reintonate the saddle. With the smaller core diameter, more like a high e string, you'll probably have to bring the saddle forward to almost where the high e saddle is, in front of where the D saddle is.
jrepresa

Post by jrepresa »

Thanks iiipopes. I owe you a dollar. It's a plain 17. I think I'll try easier solutions by now, such as better wraping, graphite lubricant and so. I don't dare to handle the saddles nor the pole pieces!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Jose............what ever you decide to do, have your intonation checked by a guitar technician as it is likely the root cause of your problem with your guitar.

Btw if you like doing bends a wound string will make that tough to do. If you mostly play rhythm then a wound G string would be an acceptable change..........but and this is a big but, you will need to adjust your saddles on your bridge to get the intonation perfect in any event.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jrepresa

Post by jrepresa »

I've cleaned up the nut groove with a very fine sandpaper then lubricated with graphite and given some time to settle. Now the string keeps in tune after bending even a tone and a half! Looks like magic! Thank you all guys! You've been of great help!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”