Coil tapping with HB1 and HB2s and push-pull pots

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Halbert

Coil tapping with HB1 and HB2s and push-pull pots

Post by Halbert »

From the thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=404486&start=0
johnallg wrote:
Halbert wrote:Hey Werner, do you know where I can find schematics for push-pull pot coil tapping? Also, the push-pull pots at RIC are SPST too, aren't they? Thanks.
I found this correspondence with Dane on coil tapping. I drew him the schematic. It is on the RRF FTP site.

http://67.155.21.222/tech/HB2%20coil%20switch.pdf
John thanks for posting that I have saved it because it looks like it could come in handy. The older pots that Ric used were suitable for this mod but I am thinking that maybe this might require a third party part. All the wiring diagrams I have been able to find on the topic call for either an SPDT (single pole double throw) switch or a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch and the low-profile pots at Ric are SPST (single pole single throw) switches.

I don't think the mod I had in mind would be a problem on a 330 or 360 like I was going to do,but might be a challenge on a 600 series guitar due to the profile of the pots that are on the market. Maybe someone esle might have an idea. Thanks again.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: Coil tapping with HB1 and HB2s and push-pull pots

Post by ken_j »

I have one of the original pots that RIC sold. I used it for a series parallel switch on an HB pickup. These have a smaller outer diameter bushing than the regular pots. Also they are 500k ohms. If you just want to coil tap, the current pot RIC sells will work as all you need to do is short one coil. I am not using the one pot but the cost to ship it isn't worth it IMO as you would still need another. Here is the link to the HB schematic: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19521-HB1%20Wiring.pdf You would need to wire the red and black wires to the switch or the clear and blue. If you want to wire series you would need to apply the colors of the RIC schematic (linked) above to to the pic posted using the old style pot.
series_parallel.jpg
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”