Bridge screw issue

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Rickissippi

Bridge screw issue

Post by Rickissippi »

On my 360, I have an issue with the bridge screw that adjusts the saddle intonation on my low E string. I'll try to upload pics later, but basically, when I adjust that screw to move the saddle forward (away from the tail piece) by turning the screw counterclockwise, the screw just backs out of the front hole (the hold holding the front end of the screw - just like on the other five saddle assemblies) instead of moving the saddle. This happens is as if the screw wasn't meant to turn in place and move the saddle at all, but is rather just a normal screw that you screw into and out of threaded nuts. As a result, I'm not able to intonate that string at all, and any attempt to do so just moves the screw further out of the bridge assembly.

Does that make sense at all? Can you envision it?

Anyone else had this issue? What do I do?

Before I give up all hope, I'm going to try again (after temporarily removing the string from the bridge, or after temporarily removing the whole bridge) to screw it all the way in and then back it out to see if it will stay in place this time.

Sorry for the somewhat double post, if you recognize this as coming from the other Rick forum - thought I'd tap both resources.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Bridge screw issue

Post by johnallg »

I would loosen the string and see if the saddle will move or is stuck somehow. It is possible it is jammed.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Bridge screw issue

Post by doctorwho »

John's on the right track ... IMO it sounds like the saddle is binding and if it doesn't give, then the screw will (simple physics). You may need to loosen all of the strings to make sure that the saddle is free to move in the direction that you want it to move in (the saddle may be binding against an adjacent saddle that won't budge and let it slip by).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”