Split in chrome on 4003 tailpiece

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

onebadjazzman

4003 chrome crack/split on tailpiece?

Post by onebadjazzman »

Has anyone experience the chrome on the tailpiece splitting or cracking? I've got a 1990 4003. Bought it new. I just noticed a split in the chrome on the side of the tailpiece near the mute adjustment screw. About 3/4". Runs parallel to the wood. Looks like a black magic marker line drawn on the chrome. Not something you'd see from a playing position. Noticed when I was polishing the chrome one day. Don't know how long it's been there. I don't think it came like that, but it looks like it has been clear coated over the split under a magnifying glass. Almost like it's had sealer put over a flaw. Is this gonna get worse? I can't believe I haven't noticed before now as OCD as I am about my Rick. I'm curious if I'm the only guy whose seen this? Thanks for your help!
"There is no other..." - Mother's Finest
onebadjazzman

Re: 4003 chrome crack/split on tailpiece?

Post by onebadjazzman »

Photo0269.jpg
onebadjazzman

Post by onebadjazzman »

Here's a better pic showing the split. Didn't see it for the longest time since it blends in so close to the natural separation of the wood and tailpiece, and you can't see it from the playing position.
IMG_1586.jpg
Has anyone else ever had this happen to their tailpiece? Bugs the heck out of me.
onebadjazzman

Post by onebadjazzman »

Hopefully, this pic will expand to show better closeup detail...
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Your question will get a lot more attention if you post it in the "Vibrola" repair section. I can't tell from your pictures if the problem is anything beyond tail lift, which seems to be common and not too serious.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
onebadjazzman

Split in chrome on 4003 tailpiece

Post by onebadjazzman »

Has anyone seen this kind of chrome split before? Will it spread? Don't know how long it has been there. I've had the bass since 1990. Just noticed the other day when I was polishing the chrome. It's not on the playing side, so you don't notice it and it's parallel to the wood just over the natural crack between the wood and chrome. It looks like the finish has a split in it, but it still has the clear coat over it under a magnifying glass. Just wondering if I'm the only one and what happened? The tail lift seems like it has always been there. I haven't seen it change. Matter of fact, I thought it came (I think mine did) that way 'till I started reading about it on the forum. I would appreciate your thoughts.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Can you post a better macro shot of the area in question, as from these photos it looks like it could just be a scratch in the chrome, too.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Split in chrome on 4003 tailpiece

Post by johnallg »

Hard to tell with the small pic, but zooming in I'm guessing the chrome there was not on very good (oil on metal when plated?) and the pressure there from the tail lift is causing it to crack. Just my guess.
onebadjazzman

Post by onebadjazzman »

Here's a macro shot. Sorry it took me so long to figure out how to post it. Thanks for your help.
onebadjazzman

Post by onebadjazzman »

Here's a better macro shot. I don't know how long it's been there. Just noticed it. Very obscure place when you're not looking for it. It's really bugging me. Thanks for any thoughts.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

How about a ¾ photo showing the corner of the tailpiece? Does the "crack" go into the front face much?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Yeah, I'm sticking with my original guess.
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

I hardly can see it. If it bugs you, buy a new tailpiece and sell that one on the 'Bay. Anyways, play the **** out of it. :D
onebadjazzman

Post by onebadjazzman »

I'll be glad to take another shot, but I can't do it tonight. I will post tomorrow. Thanks again. I luuuuuuuuuv this guitar. Have for 22 years!
onebadjazzman

Post by onebadjazzman »

You can bet it's not slowin' me down, just buggin' me. It's my baby, you know? I have thought about ordering a new one from Rickenbacker, just don't have the bucks right now.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”