Tech Vs Luthier

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

marc61

Tech Vs Luthier

Post by marc61 »

Like a fool I'm having a little argument on another forum and thought maybe I'd ask you guys to weight in.

What's a luthier? and what is a tech? I used these definitions from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luthier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_technician

and

What constitutes a "set up" on a guitar? Are all set ups the same?

I equated it to asking for a "tune up" on a car. You're basically asking for trouble unless the work is specified.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Tech Vs Luthier

Post by kiramdear »

A luthier is one who builds acoustic instruments, AFAIK.
All I wanna do is rock!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The "luthier" term is as abused as the "craftsman" one, and these days this is a circular discussion.

A "luthier" has traditionally been defined as a person who builds acoustic stringed instruments. Since the advent of solid-body electrics, though, the term has expanded to encompass those who build any stringed instrument, electric or acoustic. However, it takes much less time and skill to build a solid bodied guitar with a screwed-on neck, than it does to build a hand-carved, archtop bodied guitar with a set neck. These are the two ends of the guitar-building continuum.

And (it had to happen), repair and setup guys started to adopt the term--it sounds so grand and can lend a flavor of credibility to anyone claiming it.

I think, rather than focusing on a title, we focus on the type, quality, and originality of the instrument or the work done on it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jingle_jangle wrote:...it takes much less time and skill to build a solid bodied guitar with a screwed-on neck, than it does to build a hand-carved, archtop bodied guitar with a set neck..
So, you mean Leo Fender was not a luthier? :shock: I'm stunned by that revelation! :mrgreen:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Leo Fender was a smart guy who was in the right place at the right time, with Francis Hall, Freddy Tavares, and Don Randall covering his back! :mrgreen:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

jps wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:...it takes much less time and skill to build a solid bodied guitar with a screwed-on neck, than it does to build a hand-carved, archtop bodied guitar with a set neck..
So, you mean Leo Fender was not a luthier? :shock: I'm stunned by that revelation! :mrgreen:
Funny, I've never thought of Leo as a luthier, and I'm a huge fan.

He definitely was an outstanding engineer and innovator, and irrepressible tinkerer. I'd posit that his legacy is unmatched.... Gotta go and play a riff on my Strat in his honour!

Back on topic, I'd define a tech as someone who can assemble a bolt-neck guitar from parts, and a luthier as someone who can make said parts from scratch... which may well make Leo a luthier after all!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
marc61

Post by marc61 »

All good stuff but...now, what is a set up?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

marc61 wrote:All good stuff but...now, what is a set up?
When you're the stoolie. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Or what you did for my joking. :wink:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

marc61 wrote:All good stuff but...now, what is a set up?
Being sensible (not easy), a set up should ensure that the instrument meets your personal requirements. It would involve:

- Adjusting neck relief;
- Adjusting action;
- Setting intonation;
- Adjusting pickup height;
- Fret dressing (if required);
- Nut slot adjustments (if required);
- possible neck angle adjustments via shims for bolt-neck instruments.

Note that "appropriate" relief, action and pickup height will be subjective - you should give the tech an idea of what you want as regards these parameters.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”