360 Top E Distance from Fingerboard Edge

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ant7629

360 Top E Distance from Fingerboard Edge

Post by ant7629 »

Hi all

What kind of distance should there be between the top e string and the edge of the fingerboard? Its pretty close on my new 360, but still playable. As this is my first Ric, I was wondering if they are usually close or not......

Thanks!

Ant
Clint
Intermediate Member

Re: 360 Top E Distance from Fingerboard Edge

Post by Clint »

I don't know what measurement the specs call for but yes, the E string is pretty close to the edge. As long as it's playable, you should be alright. After awhile, you won't even notice. If it becomes a problem for you, it's a simple fix. Either fill the nut slot, and cut a new one, or cut a new notch on the bridge piece. Now, we're talking about a tiny fraction of an inch here. Probably less than the width of the string itself. In a guitar set up, a change of even .001" can make all the difference.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

which one is top :?:
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Good point. I'm assuming by "top", he means the high E string. That's what I was talking about anyway.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

You know where the fret tapers off? You don't want it sitting on top of that. It won't sound a good note over that length of the fret. Also when you cut the nut and saddle it's considered ideal if it follows the neck taper in a parallel line (same goes for the other strings), so the distance is the same along the length of the neck.
ant7629

Post by ant7629 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I love this forum!

Yes it was the high E I was referring to. It does seem to follow the line of the neck so I guess its ok.

I am loving this guitar more and more each day. I expected it to be well made and comfortable to play, but I didn't expect the huge tonal range it is capable of. I kinda had Rics down as clean, jangly only. But this things sounds amazing with drive too! Guitar show on Sunday so I am on the lookout for a nice 620!!
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

Funnily enough, there's another very recent post on this (Thur 17th May) talking about the high E on the 330........mine slips off sometimes when I go further up the neck but after a while you adapt and it stops bothering you ( unless it's ridiculously close to the fret as in touching the filed off part of the fret )
ant7629

Post by ant7629 »

david/wales/u.k wrote:Funnily enough, there's another very recent post on this (Thur 17th May) talking about the high E on the 330........mine slips off sometimes when I go further up the neck but after a while you adapt and it stops bothering you ( unless it's ridiculously close to the fret as in touching the filed off part of the fret )
Hi David. Which forum is the topic in? I can't seem to find it.....
david/wales/u.k

ant7629 wrote:
david/wales/u.k wrote:Funnily enough, there's another very recent post on this (Thur 17th May) talking about the high E on the 330........mine slips off sometimes when I go further up the neck but after a while you adapt and it stops bothering you ( unless it's ridiculously close to the fret as in touching the filed off part of the fret )
Hi David. Which forum is the topic in? I can't seem to find it.....
It's this section under the headline Bow in the neck by Desmond Wafers.........There aren't many replies there though.
david/wales/u.k

Just had a basic service/set up on my Ric and I mentioned this to the Tech who said that the original notch on the saddle hadn't been cut very accurately. He cut another notch on the bridge and it is so much better!!....I can now play the guitar and relax without worrying about the string slipping off...It's made a huge difference.
ant7629

Post by ant7629 »

It's bugging me a little now so I have decided to look into it further. I don't think the issue with mine is the bridge saddle, I think it is the nut. When I move the sting over a little on the saddle, it doesn't really solve the problem, but moving it inwards at the nut a little does.

I went to order a new one but they all same to be pre cut. No doubt buying one of these will land me with exactly the same distances between strings, or can you buy uncut ones?

Thanks
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

ant7629 wrote: or can you buy uncut ones?
Yes, but cutting the slots requires a special set of filing tools.
ant7629

Post by ant7629 »

Maybe I would be as feel taking it to a tech then.....
david/wales/u.k

Perhaps a new nut, even pre-cut would make all the difference....the nut you have now may not have been cut as accurately as it should have. It could have been cut too close to the edge or the notch may not be holding the string as tightly as it should causing the string to be too 'slack'.....The string is close to the edge but shouldn't slip off. If it really is a problem then maybe Ric would look at it under the warranty..don't see why not. Please don't despair and end up selling the guitar though. There will be a solution and even if it drives you nuts and costs a little bit more money, it will be worth it in the end!
ant7629

Post by ant7629 »

david/wales/u.k wrote:Perhaps a new nut, even pre-cut would make all the difference....the nut you have now may not have been cut as accurately as it should have. It could have been cut too close to the edge or the notch may not be holding the string as tightly as it should causing the string to be too 'slack'.....The string is close to the edge but shouldn't slip off. If it really is a problem then maybe Ric would look at it under the warranty..don't see why not. Please don't despair and end up selling the guitar though. There will be a solution and even if it drives you nuts and costs a little bit more money, it will be worth it in the end!
New pre-cut nut ordered. I'll give this a try, then go down the uncut/tech route if it makes no difference. I am in love with the guitar and I got it at a great price so I don't mind spending some money on it.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”