Volume control "bump"

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jviss

Volume control "bump"

Post by jviss »

My new 360/12 (which I'm still evaluating) has a problem with on of the controls. The treble volume control has a mechanical "bump" in it. It is significant, in that by feel one might imagine they have reached the end of the travel of the control, when in fact approximately 90º of travel remains. It exists at the 9:00 o'clock position if you take fully-clockwise to be 12:00 o'clock according to the index on the knob.

I'm pretty certain that this was not like this when I got it. I just noticed it this morning, and is is so striking that I can only imagine that it developed this issue spontaneously. The volume know has probably been manipulated less than 20 times.

Has anyone else experienced this?
fabandgear

Re: Volume control "bump"

Post by fabandgear »

Try turning the shaft with the knob removed. It may be that the knob is on too low and dragging on the pot's nut.
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
jviss

Post by jviss »

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I tried that; at first I thought it might be the knob, so I removed it, and it's definitely in the pot. I'm a bit flabbergasted that a pot would go bad on its own. But, no physical impact of any kind, babied since it arrived here.
johncorth

Post by johncorth »

Worst case scenario is that it's a defective pot that needs replacing. If you like the guitar otherwise, I'd just get the pot replaced. JMHO.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”