Is something wrong with this 360?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Is something wrong with this 360?

Post by jingle_jangle »

The problems with the black tailpieces are most common with 12-strings, which have a far greater string tension than this. I'd let it sit tight for now. If it goes bad, exchange it and have the new one painted black. No powder coating--the oven heat's what embrittles the Zamak alloy.
deadllama

Post by deadllama »

jingle_jangle wrote:The case is one you want to hang onto--it appears to be the original case. These were very sturdy. The end crack could be easily repaired.
Having had this guitar a little while now, and having completely fallen in love with it, it's definitely a G&G case -- or at any rate it's constructed almost identically to my Tele's tweed Fender/G&G case. Should it have a Rickenbacker nameplate somewhere on it? It doesn't. If it used to have one, where would it have been?

The case is in fair shape. There's the aforementioned end crack and the middle hinge came out of the wood on one side. I think the hinge will be harder to fix than the end crack, but it shouldn't be too bad. Part of me wants to get a new molded plastic case for it to match the one that came with my 620 and "retire" this case with its damage and it's, uhh, decorations to under the bed.
'92 360/6 MG BT, '11 620/6 FG, Tele Deluxe, AC15, ten fingers.

nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Kevin, the only vintage Rick cases that had the Rick nameplate mounted, were export cases to my knowledge. Someone with better knowledge may wish to correct this, however.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

My 350SH Hoffs case has a Rickenbacker nameplate. IIRC, it's the only older black Tolex case I have that has one.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yeah, I suppose the point to be taken is (like anything Rickenbacker-related!) they're not unheard of, but not common at all, either!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”