Warmly recommended: Straightening of the frets...

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Warmly recommended: Straightening of the frets...

Post by Hotzenplotz »

...after the first year of joyful use.

Well, a Rickenbacker is already quite easy to chord.
- But why not a whiff better?

I read that after about the first year the wood of a new guitar always has moved a bit. An effect that seems to concern every guitar. So mine did it, too.
Additionally, the accuracy of fit is very high at RIC, even so the final finishing touch by a luthier, done with a lot of time, makes a big difference, though!

Now was the right time for that. Today I received her back:
Before that the space between the low E string and the 12th fret was about 2,0mm. Now it is 1,5mm with a dead flat neck. No buzz or something like that. Every string stays perfectly in tune (less space=less tension that raises the tone). The feeling is just amazing.

In the end I payed for six carefully filed frets, improved saddles and one filed slot of the nut 50,-€ (actually ~61,-$).

Worth every penny!

Is there somebody with similar experiences?

PS: Rickenbacker in Germany is a nearly unsupported brand. So I went straight to a "free" and real luthier (a lady!). Normally she builds small runs (2-5) of spanish acoustics she developed. I saw a few of these guitars, some in the middle of the production process. Wow! Must be a careful and circumspectly person that is able to build such guitars!

So after opening the case the 330 appeared a bit rough in comparison. A block of wood!

She never saw a double truss rod system personally. Asked if she can handle it she only said that it is quite logically to go RICs way and it should be easier to adjust than a single rod system. Her guitars do not have rods. But when using them two are better. That answer convinced me! And her work, too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Warmly recommended: Straightening of the frets...

Post by jps »

:( I thought this was going to be a thread about slant fret Ricks. :( :mrgreen:
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Re: Warmly recommended: Straightening of the frets...

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Much better than fretless 6-strings!

I never played a slanted fret guitar. I wonder how these play after some settling in period.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”