Paint Cracking on 4003

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Re: Paint Cracking on 4003

Post by Colonel Sanders »

myrtbass wrote:Hi Gents, I thought I might comment on the number of forumites having this problem. I am more inclined to believe that it is being cause by a finish curing issue (brittle paint). This is exacerbated by the tailpiece casting. It also seems to take about 9-12 months to rear it's ugly head. My replacement body is a 2012 with my transplanted 2011 guts. Unfortunately, every time I pick it up ,I now look for cracks. I really shouldn't have to do this! with a $2000 bass. RIC really needs to get this problem sorted out. I very much like the instrument otherwise, but I wouldn't buy another. Not with these stupid problems.Keeping my fingers crossed. Best regards, Roger.
Did you find a difference in the neck profile between the 2011 and the 2012? I also have a 2011 and find the neck absolutely brilliant!
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
myrtbass

Post by myrtbass »

No, the neck is pretty much the same as my 2011,which is fairly chunky on the lower frets. Like I said, I really like the bass,other than the silly paint issues. It was certainly not caused by a large temperature swing as some have suggested. It had never left my house. Kept clean,tuned,set-up and waxed. And of course played. I wonder if other colours than JG and MID are affected? Roger.
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

I reckon I got lucky with my 2011 (apart from the ****** paint job).

The neck is very, very slim... even on the lower frets. The volute is non-existent too. Mine was born in August 2011. I can honestly say it is the slimmest neck on any bass I've ever owned.
Because of the gorgeous neck, I can live with the flaking, cracking paint....
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

aceonbass wrote:C'mon John...Steven Tyler's older than that, and he's still rockin' the black nail polish :wink:
Mine was for a drilled black tailpiece. :lol:
LONNIE4003

Post by LONNIE4003 »

I called a Ric rep when it happend to my 06 jg, just after the "one year warranty on the finish" so he said no on a refinish. I was asked what strings I used (dean markly blue steel stainless steel light-med gauge) He said stainless strings were the problem... ???? I dont use the blue steels anymore but I cant use nickel strings either.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

While strings may cause the rear of the tailpiece to lift, they can't cause the finish to crack around he tailpiece. The finish appears to not stick very well and be brittle as well. That's the problem.
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Post by heinpete »

...maybe the "washer mod" could be of a help against this chippin?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Nope. The washer mod is for preventing tail lift, not downward pressure.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

I think it's a combination of, paint thickness, the bridge creeping forward and of course the fact that the bridge is not surfaced.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Bridge creeping forward? What? I've had two MID Ricks with finish issues, and I can tell you it's neither of those causes.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

Can't find the smiley for yawning, but hey, it's just an opinion, I've only had one 2010 MID and the bridge had crept forward, not much, but enough to show on the finish, so what do I know.
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

No bridge creep, string problems or 'rough' bridge bases....

The simple fact is that RIC produced a wonderful bass, then spoiled it with a totally sloppy paint job. On a £1800 bass this is totally unacceptable!!!

Let's stop making excuses for RIC. They screwed up and are not willing to own up to this. There ARE problems with the finishing on Jetglo models from 2011. Simple as that!!!

Down to the strings you are using.... Don't make me laugh!!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Sean, how can you tell that the tailpiece is creeping forward? I've just never seen or heard of this before. With five screws going into countersunk holes in the tailpiece, I just can't see how this could happen.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

aceonbass wrote:Sean, how can you tell that the tailpiece is creeping forward? I've just never seen or heard of this before. With five screws going into countersunk holes in the tailpiece, I just can't see how this could happen.
From the initial fixing point, I think with mine perhaps the screw tension may not have been there and coupled with a good paint thickness ( or even an uncured finish) and the harsh bridge underside, it had rippled the finish, although not cracked or flaked.

Certainly not like my 70 with three screws and a good 3/8ths of no body below them, this crept a good 1/8 forward,

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”