Touch up on a 4001v63 fireglo

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Touch up on a 4001v63 fireglo

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Hi,

My 97 4001v63 fireglo had paint chip flaking off at the neck joint (only on the top of the body). The reason seems to be a poor preparation as there was still wood dust residues at the neck joint when the sprayed the bass. Seems the wood dust has shrunk over time and made the finish flake off. Anyway, I hope it is the reason for the flaking and it is not a neck stability issue (I'd be surprise at it does not seem to worsen over time).

Long story short, it was stiking out like a sore thumb so I decided to fix this using the drop filling technique with nail polish. I found a perfect match color that I have already applied (the color is ''Mystic'' from the Natio it really 'nail' the darker shades of red on a Fireglo finish). So I am 75% there (on the ''repair is not noticeable'' scale...). In order to make it to 99%, what is left to be done. Should I continue with ''drop filling'' with the same color (which I think would become to dark at some point) or should I now drop fill with clear nail polis or superglue?

Once done what is grit of sandpaper should I use to wet sand? And then what is the best buffing technique to affect the smallest area possible?

Cheers
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Re: Touch up on a 4001v63 fireglo

Post by bosco64 »

This is from a few years back...take a look when you get the time... :) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=384810
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks, Ron!

Here's some more detail, germane to this specific question:

If your color is matched, the remaining fill should be with clear nail polish to level off the sirface. Fill until it's slightly above the surface when dry and fully shrunk. Then take a small sanding block (1" X 1"; make it from something like a piece of 2 X 4...) and glue some 1000 grit wet or dry onto one or more uirfaces of the block, and carefully wet sand ONLY the bump. When it starts to level off, get rid of the block and blend the surfaces with #1000 grit cut to a small size. When leveling is finished, polish with polishing compound and then Scratch-X and Zymol to finish it off.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jingle_jangle wrote:Thanks, Ron!

If your color is matched, the remaining fill should be with clear nail polish to level off the sirface. Fill until it's slightly above the surface when dry and fully shrunk. Then take a small sanding block (1" X 1"; make it from something like a piece of 2 X 4...) and glue some 1000 grit wet or dry onto one or more uirfaces of the block, and carefully wet sand ONLY the bump. When it starts to level off, get rid of the block and blend the surfaces with #1000 grit cut to a small size. When leveling is finished, polish with polishing compound and then Scratch-X and Zymol to finish it off.
Posting from a smartphone Paul? :lol:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Posting from my stupid "new" (cheap) Dell computer at the office. Me and this keyboard don't get along well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jingle_jangle wrote:Posting from my stupid "new" (cheap) Dell computer at the office. Me and this keyboard don't get along well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Netbook sized smaller keyboard?
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Thanks to all!

The thread from Rickenbrother was very interesting.
jingle_jangle wrote: ...and carefully wet sand ONLY the bump. When it starts to level off, get rid of the block and blend the surfaces with #1000 grit cut to a small size. When leveling is finished, polish with polishing compound and then Scratch-X and Zymol to finish it off.
As the touch up is right at the neck joint, I may have to use the corner of the sand block (making sure it has the proper radius)

I just hope now that this crack is not related to neck stability.... There was definitely wood dust underneath the varnish. On the other hand the routing is also very slopy but doe not seem to go very deep.
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

jingle_jangle wrote:Thanks, Ron!

What about using Future acrylic floor polish instead of the nail polish?

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”