Help! Ric Tech in LA wanted for some blasphemy

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

dented42ford

Help! Ric Tech in LA wanted for some blasphemy

Post by dented42ford »

Hi all! I'm not even sure if this is my first post - I apparently joined this forum at some point in the past, since my typical login info worked, but that doesn't mean much...

Anyway, I have a 330 that has become one of my favorite guitars over the last couple of years. I play the thing all the time with the band I've been playing in (Vagrant Nation, shameless plug), but some of the I-know-to-be-typical Rickenbacker eccentricities have been getting on my nerves as of late. I never shy away from modifying guitars - you should see my 335 and Jazzmaster! - so, the time has come to really get down and chop this thing up, to be excessive in my description.

What I'm hoping is that someone here has experience with someone in Los Angeles that does good fretwork on Rics - I've asked around all the usual suspects, and some of the unusual ones, but no one seems to have too much experience with them. That is the big one - I really, really want to have bigger frets on this thing, vintage-proper be damned. While they are at it, I want to replace the nut with something a bit slipperier (ok, graphtech, big surprise), and do a couple of other mods...

Ok, if I try to write this out, it'll end up 2k words, so here's a list:

1) Bigger Frets, REMOVE THE FINISH on the board (been debating on that, but "typical comfort" wins out over ideosyncracy)
2) Replace the Ric bridge with a "real" Tune-O-Matic (likely Callaham with Graphtech saddles, like my 335 and soon to be my 6120). Personal Preference/ease of switching.
3) Some sort of Bigsby-esque vibrato* (I have a question about that - is the accent as prone to tuning issues as it seems? Or should I drill for a B5?)
4) Sperzel tuners. (easy mod, may just do it myself)
5) Possible refinish (just exploring options - a purple sparkle 330 seems like it could be rather cool to me)
6) Possible pickup mod/rewind (talking to a few people about this - likely a TV Jones rewind, using 'tron style magnets, but I may just leave'm stock, since I am happy enough with the high-gains)

So, does anyone here have any suggestions on who to take this thing to? I'd prefer to stay local, as I hate shipping guitars (and hate finding boxes in which to ship guitars even more), but I'll send it to the best if they are elsewhere and not crazy on the $$$.

I'd appreciate any help y'all could give! And keep the "blasphemy" comments to a minimum, please - nothing in music is sacred, much less a non-collectable instrument.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Help! Ric Tech in LA wanted for some blasphemy

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome (or welcome back? :roll: )!

There's Soest Guitar here in Orange County, but I'm not sure what all in your list Steve can do.

http://www.soestguitar.com

It can't hurt to ask him ... he's a good guy to deal with.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That was going to be my suggestion, too. Contact me for anything Steve can't help you with...
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Paul =- from the one pic on your facebook page you have a modern JG 330 with white trim...

Celtic music works well with Rickenbackers - I know this from personal experience!
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

dented42ford wrote:2) Replace the Ric bridge with a "real" Tune-O-Matic (likely Callaham with Graphtech saddles, like my 335 and soon to be my 6120). Personal Preference/ease of switching.
I don't know if you're familiar with Mastery but they're coming out with a bridge for Rickenbacker guitars that (IMO) would be worth waiting for, rather than sticking a TOM bridge on it.

More info here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=406930
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I would try Don Butler, aka :The Tone Man". He's did a lot of quality work for me when I lived in California. He's located in Newhall, Ca.... http://www.tone-man.com/

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”