4001 pickup replacement suggestions

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

nattiep
Advanced Member

4001 pickup replacement suggestions

Post by nattiep »

I've read about this problem in passing I believe on some newer basses (I can't remember exactly) but my 4001's E string volume is incredibly weak compared to the other strings. My only guess is the bass is old (a '76) and maybe it's time to update it a bit. I figured since I already replaced the bridge and tuners and had some of the neck refretted why not just go with updating everything else too? I have the original single coils in there. You guys know a lot more about how this stuff works and since I've drifted over into my Jazz basses in the last couple years I figure this would bring me right back home. Also, I doubt anyone would suggest aftermarket stuff but I should say I'm still gonna stick with the RIC pickup options.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 4001 pickup replacement suggestions

Post by jps »

For sure stick with RIC parts. You could buy new adjustable pole pickups (neck/bridge assembly, perhaps even a horseshoe pickup) or another option would be two neck hi-gains and a baseplate which would then end up similar to this, although mine were two toasters.
Lucite Pickguard 02 800 PS .jpg
Here are some RIC part links:

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/PICKUP ... p_500.html
http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/PICKUP ... p_501.html
http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/Pickup ... p_711.html
http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/BASE-P ... p_603.html
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Jeffrey, what is your opinion on the HB1 pickups?
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Nate - good to see you here again. Do you still have the little .0047uF cap from the pup switch to the treble volume control? If so, short it out with a piece of wire and listen to the E string again. Also, you could just have a dodgy E string, or it could be twisted down it's length. To fix that, loosen the string, rotate the ball end until it lies untwisted from the bridge to the nut, then retune it to pitch.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

The cap is still in place. Everyone I mention it to has no idea what I'm talking about, so it's not been bypassed. I doubt it's the string, as I've replaced just that string before and the issue has still been there.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

nattiep wrote:The cap is still in place. Everyone I mention it to has no idea what I'm talking about, so it's not been bypassed. I doubt it's the string, as I've replaced just that string before and the issue has still been there.
Is the string actually sitting on the very edge of the nut at its peak, also same goes for the bridge saddle
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

nattiep wrote:Jeffrey, what is your opinion on the HB1 pickups?
The HB-1s are great pickups, and totally noiseless; they do sound a bit different than what you may be used to, a fuller, more rounded tone, but with some different EQ settings from what you use now you may like them. You would probably want to get a wiring harness with 500K pots for best tone if you have the original 4001 harness in the bass. Dane Wilder makes some really nice harnesses so give him a PM.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

nattiep wrote:The cap is still in place. Everyone I mention it to has no idea what I'm talking about, so it's not been bypassed. I doubt it's the string, as I've replaced just that string before and the issue has still been there.
It is so easy you could do it yourself. Pull the pickguard, find the pickup switch, find the treble volume, look for the small yellow capacitor that runs between them. Get a bread tie that is the wire kind, strip off the plastic covering to have bare wire, wrap one end around the wire at one end of the capacitor body about three times tightly, then the other end around the wire from the other end of the capacitor body, leaving no slack. Cut off any excess wire. Put the pickguard back in with a screw or two and try it out with both pickups on. If you like it, it should be soldered at some point. There are two larger yellow caps but they go to the tone controls.

Also, look at where the poles of the bridge pickup line up with the strings, especially the outer two. The poles are offset on one end of the coil and if the pickup was ever put back in backwards, the E string could not be lining up with the pickup's pole button.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Thanks for the endorsement Jeff :wink: Nate, I think once you bypass the .0047 cap, you're problem may be solved, but if it isn't, then HB1's are a good option. I just built this harness for a customer with a 4001 that will have HB1's replacing the old pickups. The proper spec components are key to getting the best sound out of HB1's, so keeping the original harness shouldn't be an option, although the pickup selector switch and output jacks are reusable.
Attachments
Rickenbacker 4003 HB1 Harness 1L.jpg

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”