double truss rod adjustment

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bowser2533

double truss rod adjustment

Post by bowser2533 »

Need some advice on what to do. I been trying to get my neck a straight as possible on my ric 360/12. The bass side is perfect and there is plenty of adjustment left on the truss rod to adjust the neck if needed. The problem is that on the high e side i still have 012 relief and i ran out of adjustment on the truss rod, the adjustment nut has bottomed out. I only need probably another 1/4 turn to make it right. My question is can i remove the adjustment nut and install a small sleeve or washer to give me more adjustment or is this a bad idea? Thanks Gary The guitar in question is a 2011 ric 360 12 with double truss rods.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: double truss rod adjustment

Post by jps »

Now that I know which rods we are working with, check to see how far in the rods are at the heel end of the neck. Sometimes the wood is a bit soft and the acorn nut at that end of the rod will pull into the truss rod channel, compressing the wood as it goes in. If that is the case, you will need to remove the rod (pretty easy, but does require removing the neck pickup to gain access) and build that area back up and strengthen it; may as well do the other rod while you're at it.

Let's see first if that is the case and we can go on from there.
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

Thank you so much for your input on my guitar. I decided to try a small sleeve that fit over the truss rod itself then put the adjusting nut back on and was able to get the results i was looking for about .002 on the treble side and .004 on the bass side and lowered the action. To me this neck is perfect now. The guitar plays great, Again thanks for your input. Gary
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

By the way Jeff what part of NE Ohio are you from. Im from down around Youngstown. Gary
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hopefully your sleeve will do the job; it would still be a good idea to find out whether the nut at the other end is being pulled into the neck for future reference.

PM sent.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”