Mastery Bridge

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

pesimax

Mastery Bridge

Post by pesimax »

Hey guys, long time since I've posted, but I've been thinking of replaceing some of the hardware on my vintage Rickenbacker for more modern just to keep it fresh and look after the vintage parts. One thing I've been looking at is this Mastery Bridge, I spoke to a chap there and he said it'll fit pre-1985 rickenbackers. Anyone tried them?

I plan to replace the Accent vibrola for a new one, mastery bridge and new tuners. Keep all the vintage bits and bobs safe in the case. Then start gigging with it more.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: Mastery Bridge

Post by ken_j »

Discussed here.
"The best things in life aren't things."
pesimax

Post by pesimax »

Thanks

G
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I just ordered a Mastery M5 bridge. :) Thanks for introducing the topic, John Biscuti! :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
pesimax

Post by pesimax »

Received my Mastery Bridge today and set it up.

I think it's a huge improvement on the original roller bridge.

To my ears there is Increased sustain and more jangle with harmonic depth. The intonation is spot on and didn't have to set the radius as it was already set to 10'' out of the box. The big thing with me is that there is no long any Buzz...ah I feel happy playing it unplugged now. Before it sounded good plugged in and flat and buzzy unplugged. Now it sounds like a Rickenbacker should.

It's not as shiny as the Rickenbacker parts, but it doesn't look out of place (I ordered it with the optional cover, which improves the looks). The presentation of the bridge is lovely, in a metal tube filled with hay.

Tuning wise, I found the Rickenbacker to normally be good, depending on the room I'm in. I have noticed the G being a little flat, but it's only been half an hour since I restrung and I didn't stretch the strings as much as I wanted to.

I'd love to hear more what Mastery owners think, to give an example of other mods on guitars I don't think sound wise it wasn't as drastic as putting a Compton compensated bridge on my Gretsch. But there is a definite change for the better.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I really like mine so far. Similar experience. The "G" string generally has a tendency to go flat or sharp on a newly-installed set of strings anyway, so after you have your strings stretched out that should go away. I am looking forward to putting the bridge though some more paces on Saturday at band rehearsal.

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Thanks guys, keep us posted what the verdict is after playing it a while! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

paologregorio wrote:I just ordered a Mastery M5 bridge. :) Thanks for introducing the topic, John Biscuti! :)
My pleasure Paul and please keep us posted on your experience with it, from the honeymoon period on.

I am *this* close to ordering one myself...
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

Good to hear that the early reviews are favourable and compare to what Jazzmaster and Jag owners have said about these bridges.

I'll pick up one of these for my 365 soon. Look forward to hearing about how Paul's Mastery stands up to a weekend workout with his band.

Right now I'm off to my local luthier with my Gibson ES-335 12-String so he can notch and set up this monster: http://www.allparts.com/GB-2580-010-ABM ... _1643.html
pesimax

Post by pesimax »

Just a quick update after having the bridge for a week or so now. I've been finding myself playing it acoustically a lot more.

I normally don't play americana/acoustic Neil young style, but the strings ring out so much more and tons of sustain that you just want to pick around a D chord for ages. Also I haven't had the need to re-tuned the guitar yet.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

pesimax wrote:Just a quick update after having the bridge for a week or so now. I've been finding myself playing it acoustically a lot more.

I normally don't play americana/acoustic Neil young style, but the strings ring out so much more and tons of sustain that you just want to pick around a D chord for ages. Also I haven't had the need to re-tuned the guitar yet.
I noticed a huge increase in acoustic volume as well after installing mine, and noticed a similar effect on sustain.

Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

Yep, it does the same with my Jazzmaster. It really is surprising how much more resonant a guitar becomes with one of these installed.

I read on another website that the pickguard had to be removed to install the bridge on a Rickenbacker. Did you guys find you had to do that?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Chrome Aardvark wrote:Yep, it does the same with my Jazzmaster. It really is surprising how much more resonant a guitar becomes with one of these installed.

I read on another website that the pickguard had to be removed to install the bridge on a Rickenbacker. Did you guys find you had to do that?
The pickguard has to be removed because of the set screws that lock the bridge height adjustment screws. It's easily removed, and easily replaced. :)

pesimax

Post by pesimax »

Yep, it was easy to remove the pickguard though. I like it so much I'm planning on ordering the telecaster Mastery bridge next week.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I really love the tonal effects and increased sustain. The tone is much beefier. The unit also works great for my style of playing, which is rather aggressive; I can whack, karate-chop strum, and windmill strum all day long without popping a string out of its saddle or knocking over the bridge, and dive or shake the Accent vibrato unit all set long without wobbling or knocking over the bridge. :D

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”