Mastery Bridge

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Mastery Bridge

Post by Grey »

Thanks for replying Paul, I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you have a chance to play it.

As an aesthetically-inclined person, how do you think the polished aluminium bridge looks with the chrome on the rest of the guitar? On my Jazzmaster I didn't notice it much but my Rickenbacker has quite a bit more chrome.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Grey wrote:Thanks for replying Paul, I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you have a chance to play it.

As an aesthetically-inclined person, how do you think the polished aluminium bridge looks with the chrome on the rest of the guitar? On my Jazzmaster I didn't notice it much but my Rickenbacker has quite a bit more chrome.
I love the Mastery I have on Big Red; I'm sure I will similarly appreciate the Mastery on another one of my Ricks. :D

Aesthetics are important to me also, but the visible polished chrome surfaces on a standard Rick bridge are really only the relatively small surface area of the front and back of the bridge, which are already somewhat obscured by the bridge adjusting screws, and not all that visible with a front -facing view of the guitar.

The matte/brush-finished aluminum on the bridge is a relatively small part of the guitar; I don't really think about it much, but I don't think the finish detracts from the other chrome. With the chrome bridge cover attached, the bridge would be even less so. There is also the option of polishing the visible aluminum surfaces to a mirrored, chrome-like finish.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

rickendelic wrote:I was wondering if Mike or Paul while putting their new bridges on took a second to see if the stock Rickenbacker 4 bridge screws/legs aligned at all with the Mastery base plate.

Thanks for your time guys.
On receipt of my new Mastery, I compared the two bridges.
At the last jam Louis asked me in person if the holes matched up. I thought they did, but I was mistaken; the holes do not match up, and one cannot just use a Mastery plate with the RIC bridge:
RIC and Mastery bridge screw location comparison edited version.jpg

paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Hmm, look what arrived in the post today! It's my NEW Mastery Bridge today, the second M-bridge I've purchased. The packaging has changed, but done in the same spirit and style. . . and in an even cooler package, which, because it's more efficiently packaged, probably saved me some shipping $. . . I can also more easily put this style of tin to good use, compared to the larger, long cylinder the units formerly shipped in. 8)
the box resized.jpg
The opened box...
the opened box resized.jpg
The bridge in its Tinnie
bridge in box closeup resized.jpg
The entire ensemble, opened: Bridge, instructions, packing, and tools for installation. :) 8)
opened box with bridge out installation tools and instructions resized.jpg

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I see that your stashbox already comes stocked. :mrgreen:
Last edited by jps on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

The new tins are very cool. :)
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Want.
rickendelic

Post by rickendelic »

Thanks for taking the time to look at that. There's been a lot of good said about these bridges, I may just have to get one of those eventually. Thanks again.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

rickendelic wrote:Thanks for taking the time to look at that. There's been a lot of good said about these bridges, I may just have to get one of those eventually. Thanks again.
On hearing the music you write and perform, I think a Mastery would benefit your playing style; actually, I think it enhances the sound of any Rick, without altering a Rick's essential character.

paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jps wrote:I see that your stashbox already comes stocked. :mrgreen:
Among your other fine qualities, you are a very funny guy! :lol:
Next time you're out for a big jam, I vote we make you emcee; I am running out of one-liners. . . .

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

paologregorio wrote:Among your other fine qualities, you are a very funny guy! :lol: . . .
Blame it on too much exposure to your choice of Groucho Marx, Michael Feldman, Firesign Theatre, Laurel & Hardy, W.C. Fields, Little Rascals, Buster Keaton, The Three Stooges, you know the usual influences that some kids grew up on. :mrgreen: Not to mention films like Being There, Dr. Strangelove. anything by Luis Buñuel, Federico Felini, Ken Russell, etc.................
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I should have my guitar back within a month :D and can't wait to put it to work. I'm glad Mastery is still making these, as I feel it's a great option for players who dig into their guitars. I'm sure Paul will post his findings once the old girl is back together and set up.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

So, I bought one and put it on my 350MID. I'm definitely buying another one for my 340 with high-gains and will probably get one for the 620. Honestly toying with equipping all my 6-strings. Definitely improves the rock type sound on the 350, so I'm quite sure I want one on all my high-gain guitars. Two questions, though.

Any comments on using these on a solid body 620/660? Since they started out making these for Jazzmasters/Teles, I'm assuming the benefit will also be there on a 620/660. Maybe to a lesser extent with a less resonant body.

Apart from the intonation setting limitations already quite thoroughly discussed, has anyone actually had any negative experience with these on any type of Rick?
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Anything any users of a Mastery on a RIck found they didn't like at all? Any experience on a 620/660?

On the chance that my comment on intonation was off-putting to anyone, I will note that as far as my Peterson StroboPlus HD is concerned, it's dead on. As far as my ears are concerned (pretty good at tonal subtleties, admittedly far from perfect on pitch - but I do know a beat note when I hear one), also on. Takes a bit of effort to dial in, but IMO, certainly worth the effort.

Would love to hear what anyone has to say. I'll at least throw one on the 620 and report back on that one if others don't have comments.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

In the few months I was able to play my Mastery equipped 330 before I sent it off to be customized, the intonation was great, After several live gigs and a professionally recorded 4 song EP for one of the bands I'm in, it sounds like a Rickenbacker 330 in all positions and in tune all over the recording. The bridge didn't change the personality or tone, but rather enhanced what was already there, and made soloing more responsive. Whether you like the music on the recording or not, it's in tune and sounds like a Rickenbacker.

Soon, she'll be back in my hands, all tricked out, and set up by one of the best in the biz. I'm sure it will get a favorable review, as mine was minimally adjusted by myself when I installed it, and I can't hear any intonation issues, both live and on recordings. :mrgreen:

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”