The saga continues... (v68)

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: The saga continues... (v68)

Post by aceonbass »

While there are definitely a few 4-2-5 conversions out there that are holding up just fine, the factory decided not to take a chance, and made all of their 5&8 string basses with stronger dot boards. At least I believe that was the reason. Joshua, while your bass does have poured inlays, they aren't full width, which I think makes a difference. Regardless, I think a larger brass or steel block used in my previously described manor would not have been able to sink into the wood, or move like the part Larry made. The fact that the bass side rod requires more tension than the treble side rod points to my previous hypothesis too. If the board does have to come off again, I'd go with a couple graphite rods, and be done with it.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

On its way back!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

We want a full report! Maybe a description of what Larry did to it this time to insure the rod ends stay put too.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Dig:
IMGP7202.JPG
IMGP7203.JPG
IMGP7205.JPG
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Nothing new at the body end?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cassius987 wrote:Nothing new at the body end?
I'm not sure, actually. No photos, but Larry did say "I’m just about done with the repair to the neck – I’ll then do the new thrust block for the end of the truss rods."
dgwguitars

Post by dgwguitars »

sloop_john_b wrote:
cassius987 wrote:Nothing new at the body end?
I'm not sure, actually. No photos, but Larry did say "I’m just about done with the repair to the neck – I’ll then do the new thrust block for the end of the truss rods."
The body end was taken care of in the prior repair.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

It's here! Haven't tweaked the setup yet but it's playing great out of the box. Thanks, Larry! :D

Sort-of unrelated question: When the E string is in tune, every subsequent note (starting with 1st position F) is quite flat. The strings on this bass are really old, so I'm wondering if that would be the most likely culprit?
dgwguitars

Post by dgwguitars »

sloop_john_b wrote:It's here! Haven't tweaked the setup yet but it's playing great out of the box. Thanks, Larry! :D

Sort-of unrelated question: When the E string is in tune, every subsequent note (starting with 1st position F) is quite flat. The strings on this bass are really old, so I'm wondering if that would be the most likely culprit?
Good to hear that it arrived OK. It's probably the string that's the problem. I had a bass in recently where the G string in tune as an open string and intonated at the octave, but at the fifth fret was a full note out of tune. Replaced the string and voila! - it was in tune.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

sloop_john_b wrote:It's here! Haven't tweaked the setup yet but it's playing great out of the box. Thanks, Larry! :D

New strings = New bass!

Despite what others say, flatwounds will go funny and intone poorly with strange harmonic nodes..
I once set this bass up that had really old flats on it and it didnt seem to matter what note you played you got the same non-note out of it. When I removed the strings they were all stiff as if they had seized straight and would not vibrate anymore.
It was either gunk and sweat that had got into the silk under the outer wrap or rust in the lower wraps..

Either way treat it to some new strings and play intune again...

Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Did you try slapping the sh*t out of it? (See recent thread...."new strings for free")
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

woodyng wrote:Did you try slapping the sh*t out of it? (See recent thread...."new strings for free")
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
s4001

Post by s4001 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
zoeyku

Post by zoeyku »

I think that's pretty much where this is headed.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”