360/12 toggle switch question

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

360/12 toggle switch question

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, My 360/12 has developed a problem that I'd like to fix. When the pickup selector switch is in the up position (neck) or in the center position (both pickups), the guitar and controls work fine. When the switch is in the down position (bridge), there is no sound. I have done a search on this subforum and will try lightly sanding the contacts on the switch. I took a look and (at least to these old eyes) the contacts looked clean and seemed to be making good contact. The switch does not have any issues with slipping back to center, as others have reported.

Based on sometimes faulty and always subjective memory, it also seems like the guitar has lost some of that 12 string sparkle (jangle?) that it had when I bought it. It may be due to string changes, but I'm wondering if it's more likely related to the switching problem. So, here's my question.... If the toggle is in the center position and the neck pickup volume is turned all the way down, should I be getting the same sound as if the toggle was in the down (bridge) position? If the answer is "Yes", then the Grinch has stolen some of the jangle. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 360/12 toggle switch question

Post by jps »

Check the contacts on the output jacks for tarnishing or in any way not making a good connection. The standard/mono jack has a switch on it that may be the culprit.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

Like Jeff has said the switch in the mono jack. Also try plugging into the Stereo jack and see if this works, the Neck pup will not work as it's sent to ground( with a mono lead that is), but the Bridge should, if it still doesn't work it may be further up in the circuit.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

The problem has been fixed with some very fine grade sandpaper on the switch and jack contacts. Thanks for the help guys... Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

8)

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”